When to Slot MAF

BirdofPrey97

New engine is in and I am not going to be able to install the FMIC just yet until another bumper cover is purchased.

My question is that currently using the 80MM C&L maf canister with the tune from Dave. With this new engine there will be tuning needed and I will be attempting the changes. (David Dalke will probably block my number.) I have a slot maf and the wire harness, but currently thinking it would be best to tune the car with what I know and then once it's reasonable put the slot maf in and create the curve.

For the tuners our there, what curve information do you start with for the slot maf to build the curve? Is it worth it to tune using what is there or should the slot go in now? This engine was way too expensive for me to mess up because I hit the wrong button the PC.

Given you want to learn it yourself, I'd definitely start with the MAF your have. The curve should not be too far off, assuming the tune is (hand) dialed in well already.

The slot MAF will probably need a from-scratch MAF curve (unless someone would share some "templates" they may have). I have built one for mine, but it will only be close if the same intake construction is used. I scaled my MAF curve for Jacob Royer a little while back when he switched...I think it got the car running well enough for him to tweak it from there. There are curves posted online for Ford Slot MAF's installed in X" intake tubes....beware, they may be junk.

With tuning, the thing is, start slow with the MAF tweaks, especially if the AFR's are way off. Keep your timing very conservative (maybe 16-18° max) If you do this, I'd say there is no chance you'll destroy anything due to tuning. Take you time, don't rush through your inputs and make sure you understand the reason you're changing variable "X". Start at idle, then use the throttle in park to get the lower RPM's / airflows close, then work your way up....don't do a WOT, full RPM run right off the bat....take it slow and keep an eye on your AFR's. Better to aim rich, then lean it out than run lean, so as long as you don't see anything higher than mid 12's, you'll be plenty safe...work your way towards the ideal range .... from rich / retarded to lean / advanced.

Oh, I will clarify - the throttle state does need to be in WOT (which isn't necessarily WIDE OPEN) for the computer to drop adaptive adjustments....my point is to not blindly go tearing through the gears right off the bat.

David was here and tuned the car on the road, but that was with the other engine. OD, SC, MAF, injectors are all the same. Engine is completely different. I won't use the curve from on line. It's not that I haven't tuned these before its just been before the Moates chip and even SCT. Yes, I am old.

Wanted to see what was out there. Meant to put this in the tuning forum.

Back