Questions regarding intake, MAF, Throttle Body and Plenum

Djad35

I am looking to purchase a 3" Air Intake, 76mm MAF Housing and 75mm Throttle Body.

First, is it pointless to add those items without doing something with the plenum?
Second, can I use my stock MAF sensor?
Third, Will I have to then go in and do some tuning to get it to run right with this setup?

I'm also going to be running a 5% overdrive pulley, 10% jack shaft pulley and have aftermarket exhaust from manifolds back. There is also a Jet chip in this car.

Any help I can get is appreciated as I'm just getting into some light performance mods.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You will see nice gains even without changing out the plenum, you can port it you know ! port it as large of an opening as you can get it..i think people get them a bit over 70ishm but i could be wrong..
your gonna need a tune or if that jet chip can adjust stuff then maby you will get by...i did all the parts you had and i didnt have a tune and it seemed to just slow the car down and didnt run rite with the extra boost..if you do thoe things just make shur its tuned properly...

Thank you! Question though as I'm really new to all this. Did you take your car to a shop to have it tuned or how does one go about getting a tune done. I'm not sure that my chip will automatically adjust to the changes being made and I'm fine with not using it but am just curious how to go about having the car tuned after making the changes.

I am looking to purchase a 3" Air Intake, 76mm MAF Housing and 75mm Throttle Body.

First, is it pointless to add those items without doing something with the plenum?
Second, can I use my stock MAF sensor?
Third, Will I have to then go in and do some tuning to get it to run right with this setup?

I'm also going to be running a 5% overdrive pulley, 10% jack shaft pulley and have aftermarket exhaust from manifolds back. There is also a Jet chip in this car.

Any help I can get is appreciated as I'm just getting into some light performance mods.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you look through the back issues of the Chargin' Thunders.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?136024-Want-to-see-the-old-Chargin-Thunders

The various paths to upgrades and performance are discovered and documented in granular detail. I think you will find that the few mods you mention will not require a tune - but you need to determine that on your own rather than canvasing opinions as your final determination.

Blending the intake plenum

if you do a dedicated search of the forum posts for this, you will find many, many threads. most conclude you should 'port' the plenum, I prefer to think of it as blending the intake to transition from larger TB to narrower plenum.

I did it on mine. I'm not sure I noticed a difference. It's is all compressible flow aerodynamics in there. Only a dyno will reveal the results IMO.

Some good pics of others' work if you look for it.

Thanks guys. I will look into this further.

Regarding the color tube, I am running stock injectors so not changing anything there. Talked to Bill at SCP for quite some time and gained a lot of great knowledge from him as well as ordered quite a few parts.

Thanks again for your replies.

Back