power locks not working

Peterdroy66

Feeling lazy in trouble shooting.....
Recent car to me power locks worked when I got it, both doors
at some point both stopped working - at the same time, not even trying to work - no reaction from either switch
Fuse is good and is shared with the power seats which are fine.
The keyless entry system will trigger and open the trunk, but not the locks....

This is lazy man's trouble shooting as I don't - right now - want to take the door apart and check the actuators, if it was one or the other I would think it more likely but they both stopped at the same time.
Niether the drivers door or passenger door switch will operate them.

I know to properly do this I really need to check the wiring starting at the switch, but havn't time now and just looking to see if anyone has come across this before.
One more lazy trouble shoot thing I might try is swapping the keyless module from my 92 and see if it triggers then, as the relay in there would be common to both doors AND the keyless entry system.

PR

Well - it's not a short or else the fuse would pop and/or the seat part of the circuit would be dead. It's some sort of open circuit instead. Good luck

The drivers side switch feeds power to all of the other door lock components including the keyless. I had the same issue and it was due to a crack in the drivers side switch causing poor/no contact. Probably worth checking out the wiring in there too, as you said. At least you don't have to remove the door panel ;)

Last edited:
Trouble shooting

Well spent some time this afternoon,
12v is going out to the doors at the keyless entry module when activated.
Everything at this point suggests the actuators are bad which is not unreasonable given the age of the car and that it was on the west coast of Canada all its life -wet.....
pr

I have a similar issue I think. When I press lock, it locks perfectly, both doors. But trying to UNLOCK from the inside, it will try to unlock, but then just give up. It'll make a grinding noise like it's really trying to unlock, then sort of "climax" and push up the lock a little. After that though, nothing happens until I wait a minute. It's not too big of a problem since I can just reach over and open the other door, but it is annoying. I know I have a bad ground somewhere in the car, maybe that's it? Or maybe the lock motors are just going bad. It seems like it can't get enough power to unlock the door, but locking it is fine.

Just thought I'd throw this in here. I hope you are able to fix your problem!

I had the same problem ....turned out to be corrosion on the switch terminals where it connects to the wiring harness and wasn't getting a full 12 volts to the actuators...One of the few times I've had an easy fix.

Last edited:
Back