What is the runout on the input shaft?

vgfedor

SCCoA Member
I have a 95 5 speed transmission. The input shaft to the transmission seems quite wobbly as if the bearing is worn. I have the 95 service manual but I can not find what the tolerance (spec) is on the input shaft runout. The manual gives the tolerance for the input shaft end play and I found the tolerance on the output shaft runout but not the input. Does anyone know what the correct input shaft runout tolerance is?
Thanks

I don't have a spec, but the shaft shouldn't wobble. If it's loose, that's different than having runout. As long as the bearings are in good condition, a bit of wobble due to end play is normal. If the shaft truly isn't straight and has a noticeable wobble, then it's bent/cracked and needs to be replaced.

Dave;
I use the terminology of runout but maybe it is wrong word. The input shaft is straight and true with no stress cracks that I can see. When I put a dial indicator on the end of the shaft at the point where it would insert into the pilot bearing, I get a total up and down play (movement) of 4.25 mm and a side to side play (movement) of 3.0 mm. When I do this I can actually see the rollers in the bearing move out of its outer race a bit. So this is what I am asking is it normal or not?

Okay so before I put the transmission back in, does anybody else want to agree or disagree with Ken (KMT)? Always nice to get a second opinion.

Ken;
You didn't miss it because I never indicated that. The bearing is original (used) with about 108,000 km (67,000 miles) on it. There was no problems with the transmission previously, I just took it out to get at the clutch and flywheel.

That's what I thought and I still think you're ok.

Did you drain the trans and check for debris? See any discoloration on the input shaft? Feels smooth when you spin it by hand? Probed around with a magnet, etc? Any noise or shifting issues prior to doing the clutch?

Last edited:
Ken;
Another post just to answer your questions.
Did you drain the trans and check for debris? Yes. Only thing that came out was fine metallic dust that clung to the magnetic drain plug
See any discoloration on the input shaft? No
Feels smooth when you spin it by hand? Yes no jerking or hang ups while spinning the input shaft. Feels smooth to me
Probed around with a magnet, etc? No never thought of that
Any noise or shifting issues prior to doing the clutch? No issues shifting before hand. Pretty smooth

The only question now is if the trans will last until the next time you need a clutch ;) I think you'll be good for a while in any case. Good luck.

Ken

Back