Ratcheting Sound From Wiper Area

TBirdJKC

Hi everyone, I've noticed a ratcheting noise every once in a while, when the wipers are in operation. No difference in performance when it makes the noise. The arms are not touching the cowl, bushings look ok, the wiper transmission looks fine. The noise is definitely coming from the cowl area. I would like to figure out what it is before any damage is done. Could it be the wiper motor itself starting to go? Its a 93, so it has the late model cowl.

I had a clicking sound from the wipers one time, and took things apart twice, but couldn't find anything worn/loose etc....turned out that one of the screws that holds the cowling in place was too long and was being struck as the mechanism moved.

I checked and the cowl screws don't appear to be making any contact with the wiper assembly. So I'm kind of stumped :confused:

Good morning

I had the same problem with a 89 LX. Check the mechanics (arms/clearance between the cowls) and they were good. Sprayed WD-40@ on everything that pivots. No fix. Eventually the wipers would "stick" momentarily in operation. Replace the motor. Fix problem. When I examine the old motor the electrical connector was cracked/damaged with rusted pins.

Good Luck.

Back