got killed!

tondog

pulled up to a stop sign next to a eclipse and thought nothing of it. ive killed a bunch of eclipses before and thought this wouldnt be different so i wasnt going to race, until he started messing with me. so we pulled up to the next stop sign and we both took off. normally at the top of first im already ahead, but this time all i can hear is that all too familiar whine and the eclipse starts to pull on me. i shifted to second and he was still slightly pulling on me. after the top of third he was about a car and a half ahead of me and i gave up and followed him until he pulled over. after talking to him i realized i didnt do so badly. he had the all wheel drive turbocharged eclipse with some mods and i was in my 95 stocker.

An AWD Turbo Eclipse with some VERY basic bolt on's will click off hi 12's.. My Eclipse ran a 14.3 with just a new clutch.. Then i clicked off 13.20's with some basic bolt ons and a bad motor.. The other Eclipses u raced were either A.) Bad drivers or B.) Non Turbo DSM's or FWD DSM's with severe traction problems.. But still if u didnt lose by 5 car lengths then u did good :)

I don't suppose...

Was this a rough looking 1st gen? I got whooped by one as well a few weeks back in Hemet. He rolled a stop and I was sitting in the next lane..gave it a try but at 4000+ lbs. I am happy I didn't completely embarras myself. I lost but made an ok showing. Hey Kwik, did the TD05 with a 12a wheel (been a long time, I think that was right) piggyback over from the Conquest/Starion platform to the fist gens or did they go with something a bit faster spooling? I had a great time with my Conquests and those turbos lasted for ever!

Anthony

Hey Coast.. No they used a TD05 14b with a 6cm housing for the 1g DSm's.. Had some lag but once it hit the car was out.. Very capable turbo.. Someone is actually running 12.0's@112 on a near stock setup!! They went to a crappy Garret T25 for the 95-99 Eclipses and those cars bite the big one for modifications cause the turbo is so small..

What Dennis failed to mention is that a bone stock eclipse is far from fast..And not everyone has mods so you could have beaten a few....Unfortunately throw an exhaust and a boost controler on an eclipse and your in for it....However ill give up teh speed for a bit of comfort..Its still unknown to me how a guy like dennis can drive an Eclipse!!! Kinda like Andre the Giant ina Mini cooper

No shame in losing to an AWD turbo car that weighs a heck of a lot less that an SC. Personally, I like 'em. Not when they're done up like the green one in that movie, but that goes for any car. No accounting for taste. Cool little cars that people have shown to have a lot of potential.

Back