PDA

View Full Version : Firewall dash access

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 01:01 PM
For anyone who has installed after market temp / pressure gauges in their SC. Where is the best place to tap into the wiring and run the gauge into the cabin?

Thanks

KMT
06-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Bit of a catch-22 tho, if you come in high, from the engine bay/driver's side, then it can be hard to reach wires from inside (depends on hand size, I think). If you come in from the inside, it puts them down low and hard to grab from the engine bay side.

I like to start from the inside, near the steering column seal, and push fish leads into the engine bay that are then used to pull gauge wires back inside and up into the dash.

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 02:51 PM
maybe after removing the cluster I'll get a better angle on things?

KMT
06-04-2016, 03:21 PM
I've had the cluster out many times, and I don't recall it affording any improved access...it's tight in there ;)

I'll see if I can find a photo that demonstrates (late model):

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I've had the cluster out many times, and I don't recall it affording any improved access...it's tight in there ;)

I'll see if I can find a photo that demonstrates (late model):

Did you install some gauges? if so, do have after pictures of that? I just don't trust this temp gauge and want something more accurate.

bowez
06-04-2016, 04:08 PM
All my extra wires come in on drivers side around the main harness. Use a fish tape or coat hanger to help get the wires from one side to the other.

I would also suggest using a strain relief over just a grommet.

KMT
06-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Did you install some gauges? if so, do have after pictures of that? I just don't trust this temp gauge and want something more accurate.

Yes, but not coolant temp.

Digital A/F (w/volts) in the dash, then moved it to a dual pod in the A pillar, with a dual needle air temp gauge for the IC in/out. Added an analog clock to the dash bezel next to the radio.

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Where in the dash did you put it? I'm thinking about below the stereo if there is room behind that panel behind the shifter.

KMT
06-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Where in the dash did you put it? I'm thinking about below the stereo if there is room behind that panel behind the shifter.

I have a '90 SC and I put it directly left of the VMM, with a tilt bezel to square it up since the bezel panel faces slightly downward right there.

You mean to the right of the lighter? I guess you could, but it might be too low to see well.

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 05:30 PM
I have a 95. The console is a bit different than a 90 I think. Mine would go just below the VMM and above the console. Right where they are in the 2003-2004 Marauders.

KMT
06-04-2016, 07:48 PM
I have a 95.

Something like in this thread, then.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?77035-gauges&highlight=gauges

nickleman60
06-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Here's my gauges in my '94

1qwik99
06-04-2016, 08:16 PM
How difficult was that t do. I want to put my gauges below where your switches are, in that panel.

nickleman60
06-05-2016, 07:17 AM
How difficult was that t do. I want to put my gauges below where your switches are, in that panel.

It wasn't that bad, just a little time laying down in the floor of your car. I found that removing the drivers seat gives you a whole lot more room to maneuver. Like it was mentioned I sistered my wires through the firewall through existing holes with wires, from there it's just a matter of routing them under the dash and over to where you want to install your gauges.

1qwik99
06-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Which holes were the closest and were there grommets in them? For a temp gauge did you use a tee or just unscrew the factory sender and use the new gauge sender?

nickleman60
06-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Which holes were the closest and were there grommets in them? For a temp gauge did you use a tee or just unscrew the factory sender and use the new gauge sender?

It's been a long time and I'm trying to remember so I opened my hood and took a look. It's kinda coming back to me but from what i could tell I ran the wires from the engine bay, over to the drivers side and on the engine side fenderwell way in the back bottom there was a hole where other wires were run. I pulled back the plastic inner fenderwell then I fished them through there and if you pull back the carpet on the inside down by your feet I believe there was a rubber plug/grommet and that's where I entered the cab for my wires. I deleted the stock in dash water temp, oil pressure gauges so I didn't need to use a tee any fitting. I also deleted stock boost/vacuum gauge and replaced it with a LX volt gauge which is just a plug and play, the boost gauge is now in the pillar pod.