M/T Where's the Heat Shield and Padding.

rickbtbird

I finally got around to replacing my 12v cigarette lighter with a USB port on my 95 5speed tonight. Simple enough job and a much needed upgrade. Now I don't have to worry about that dumb adapter popping out of the 12v outlet anymore. When I removed the shifter console cover I wasn't surprised to see no padding or heat shield under the cover giving the amount of shifter chatter I was hearing. The only thing that was under there was the rubber boot and it was cut. Shouldn't there be some heat-shield and padding under the console cover?

Under the console should be a steel plate contoured to the shape of the driveshaft hump. It should have a tapered rectangle cut out of it for shifter clearance. Under that should be a very thick piece of rubber that is adhered and in some cases, stapled as well. That's your only shielding/insulation from the outside.

There is supposed to be a piece of insulation on top of the plate, below the carpet....about 10"x4" with a hole cut out for the shifter too. That should help with sound / heat too.

There is supposed to be a piece of insulation on top of the plate, below the carpet....about 10"x4" with a hole cut out for the shifter too. That should help with sound / heat too.

I kind of thought so. I order some Automotive Heat, Sound, and Noise Insulation Foil Padding and I'll make my own.

I believe mine had two pieces of insulation. The one piece pictured above and then a smaller rectangular piece about the size of the outline you can just make out in your pic on the larger piece of insulation around the hole for the shifter.

I got the insulation yesterday and installed a single layer from the compartment to where the dash begins with a small hole for the shifter. Then I cut a smaller piece with a small hole over the shifter. Once I got everything back together I took it for a ride. What an improvement. No more loud chatter and vary little noise at all. Sounds like it supposed too! Thanks for the help guys!

Back