PDA

View Full Version : broken egr tube

thekidz
07-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi all

We were replacing the head gaskets on my 90 5spd this weekend. During disassembly we noticed the egr tube was broken at the flex coupling. Is there any way to fix it? I was thinking of trying to tig it back together. I have posted on the parts to buy forum, but I guess no-one has one for sale. Any suggestions on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Craig

Mike Puckett
07-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I patched mine with some left over thermal tape and some copper RTV. It works reasonably well.

KMT
07-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Might be some new on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-EGR-Valve-To-Manifold-Inlet-Pipe-Line-Tube-FOR-1989-93-T-BIRD-W-3-8L-V6-/370648089076?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AThunderbir d%7CSubmodel%3ASuper+Coupe&hash=item564c5901f4:g:liIAAOSwB4NWxMvH&vxp=mtr

...be careful if you patch yours - you don't want those gases leaking back into the cabin.

potshotscott
07-04-2016, 06:35 PM
I tore the joint on mine - dad welded it. Not sure what he used but it's been fine for two years now. Some folks talk about an EGR delete but I seem to think that requires a tune and some other tricky stuff I'm not good at.

thekidz
07-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Thank you for the tips it's much appreciated. i'm going to try and weld it up tomorrow and if not, Ebay looks like the backup plan. I'm hoping to have it back on the road net week after 8 years

Thanx
Craig

fast Ed
07-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Hey Craig

Great to see that you're around and still have the SC!

cheers
Ed

thekidz
07-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi Ed

Yuup still kicking. Kids and life you know. Time seems to keep on moving. I was actually kida shocked to see the sticker on the plate was 2009. It seems like yesterday. Glad you are still kicking too.

thanx

Craig

dereks90sc
07-12-2016, 10:13 PM
I adapted a gas line from a hotwater heater or from a gas dryer and it's been going strong for over 2 years now. And who cares if it doesn't last as long since you can get a replacement almost anywhere, but to tell you the truth I had to remove it recently to install some headers and the line was still in great shape. You will have to buy some adapters but it's still cheaper and easier than trying to get an oem part.

XR7 Dave
07-13-2016, 07:53 AM
The Ebay part is for an NA 3.8 so that's no much help. You can weld it, it's stainless. The gas line trick has me interested - is that stuff lined or is is just convoluted stainless?

I used to have some low mileage early model ones, but now I just have some that have been welded. If you don't mind a repaired unit, I do have a couple.

SCarSC
07-13-2016, 10:07 AM
i blocked mine off and had it welded shut on the manifold...

XR7 Dave
07-13-2016, 11:34 AM
i blocked mine off and had it welded shut on the manifold...

Certainly that is the easy fix from a mechanical perspective, but some people need to have their EGR to pass visual smog, or they prefer to leave everything stock in which case repair is the only option. Plugging the EGR off will not set a code on an 89-93, but it will on a 94/5. When plugging the EGR it is best to turn it off in the tune because the EEC does add timing at part throttle when it thinks the EGR is working. This can cause pinging or higher engine operating temps in some cases. It's not something you are likely to notice on your gauges, but the inside of your engine will know the difference, so to speak.