Harmonic Balancer shelled

Supracoupe

The harmonic balancer on my 94 SC decided to leave this world yesterday while tooling down the expressway. 124k on the odometer. Of course, Ford has long discontinued this and Dorman only picked up the 93 and earlier it appears. Looks like the BHG is the best (and now appears only) option for the 94/95. I'll get with SCP to get one shipped. It also took out the water pump when the crank pulley came off.
It created a nice "thump" and I immediately whipped the car to the side and shut it down. The crank pulley came rolling up to the car as I was getting out. Scratched but serviceable. I will need the bolts to reattach it.

The Ford dealer was unable to sell me the bolts or even tell me the size as they were not listed separately, but came as part of a kit with the harmonic balancer. Anyone know the size of the bolts?

Thanks for the tips. That's a good link. I ordered a BHG from Bill at SCP today with the appropriate bolts. I have a puller and should be able to fab up something to install it. Looks pretty straight forward.

Ouch

Did it damage the front timing cover as well. Looks like some of the cover is damaged where it stripped out the bolts on the water pump.

Damn that sucks dude, sorry about your luck!

Yeah after seeing all the carnage to the water pump, I would not want to re-use the stock stamped steel crank pulley. Suggest swapping to a set of March polished underdrive pulleys. That way you get a zero balanced crank pulley and you will also pick up about 10 rwhp from the reduced drag from accessories.

David

Yeah after seeing all the carnage to the water pump, I would not want to re-use the stock stamped steel crank pulley. Suggest swapping to a set of March polished underdrive pulleys. That way you get a zero balanced crank pulley and you will also pick up about 10 rwhp from the reduced drag from accessories.

David

I'm pulling the remains of balancer today and inspecting everything. That sounds like a good idea on the crank pulley. I was looking at the March website. Is the 3.8 Mustang pulley they list the same?

Received the BHG HB today and got it painted and clear coated. I'll have to borrow a puller, the one I have won't work. Also did some closer inspection. In addition to the water pump, the crank pulley is toast, visibly nicked and bent. The aluminum water pump pulley is also a loss, a nice chunk missing on the lip on the back side. I think I'll order the under drive set as recommended from SCP. I have a crank and alternator pulley from a 93. Will the early 93 crank pulley work as an interim to get it back on the road while waiting for the under drive pulleys?

NEVER reuse a crank pulley that was chucked off the car! Also go ahead and replace the crank position sensor as it will have been trashed! Also the BHJ requires a zero balance crank pulley anyway so the stocker is a no go! Rather than the under-drive crank pulley i recommend the MP 10% OD crank pulley (If you are already over-driving anyway) just put the stock JS and or blower pulley back on. It is 100x better way to overdrive the blower and it will be a good thing to have for future mods. Also Powerbond makes a replacement balancer that will NOT fail and is available for 130$ at Orielly Auto parts. The powerbond is better than OEM and you can use a stock crank pulley with it. I've ran one on my built 4.2 stroker motor for a year now zero problems.

Received the BHG HB today and got it painted and clear coated. I'll have to borrow a puller, the one I have won't work. Also did some closer inspection. In addition to the water pump, the crank pulley is toast, visibly nicked and bent. The aluminum water pump pulley is also a loss, a nice chunk missing on the lip on the back side. I think I'll order the under drive set as recommended from SCP. I have a crank and alternator pulley from a 93. Will the early 93 crank pulley work as an interim to get it back on the road while waiting for the under drive pulleys?

The Crank pulley was the same between all years so you should be fine in doing so.

-Tim

Back