89-93 Plenum swap to 94-95 Plenum (ABV issue)

BUDXR7

Hi guys. I recently swapped a 95 blower on to my 89 5-spd. With this, I obviously installed a 95 plenum. I also took the opportunity to delete the EGR (if for no other reason than to not have to EVER touch those bolts again). My question is for the guys that have done this swap before and what was their experience with the vacuum lines? What was left over/capped off, etc...??

In deleting the EGR I had one extra vacuum line that needed to be plugged (the line that connects to the EGR pressure sensor. I also had one extra connection on the 95 plenum that got capped off. Those were the only differences. Main reason I'm asking is because my ABV is staying closed all the time now as if there is no vacuum to it. Now this may be unrelated to the swap but it seems too coincidental. The ABV moves freely by hand. One other piece of info, I got a brake switch fault (74R). I think this is in the same neighborhood as the vacuum tree that supplies the ABV solenoid.

Last comment; I'm supposed to drive the car a couple miles to the exhaust shop tomorrow morning - should that brake code be a concern?

"if for no other reason than to not have to EVER touch those bolts again"

amen to that brother

I just did this swap myself a few weeks ago and this diagram helped. I had to get a little creative since the newer Magnum Powers intake plenum had different fitting locations on both sides. I completely got rid of the EGR and EVR lines. I can take pictures of my setup tomorrow if you need them.
vacuum1.gif

Last edited:
I just did this swap myself a few weeks ago and this diagram helped. I had to get a little creative since the newer Magnum Powers intake plenum had different fitting locations on both sides. I completely got rid of the EGR and EVR lines. I can take pictures of my setup tomorrow if you need them

That would be great. Thank you

Looking at the back side of the intake plenum, the top fitting in the picture goes to the passenger side PCV valve and the bottom fitting with the hose clamp goes to the vacuum tree in the center of the car directly behind the supercharger.

Looking at the front side of the intake plenum, the left fitting with hose clamp goes to the T fitting on the intercooler outlet tube going into the manifold. The line coming off of the T goes to the vacuum tree on the drivers side. The right fitting goes to the air bypass valve canister.

In this picture you can see the back side of the air bypass valve canister. The other small line coming off the intercooler outlet tube goes to the vacuum tree on the drivers side.

Hope this helps!

Hi guys. I recently swapped a 95 blower on to my 89 5-spd. With this, I obviously installed a 95 plenum. I also took the opportunity to delete the EGR (if for no other reason than to not have to EVER touch those bolts again). My question is for the guys that have done this swap before and what was their experience with the vacuum lines? What was left over/capped off, etc...??

In deleting the EGR I had one extra vacuum line that needed to be plugged (the line that connects to the EGR pressure sensor. I also had one extra connection on the 95 plenum that got capped off. Those were the only differences.

Sounds as though your install was the same as my install on my '89 SC I drive daily. Have a cap on the tree and then have a cap on the front of the plenum where the later models have the hose for the bypass hose.

Been this way for 3 years / 30K miles without a problem.

-Tim

So I definitely have vacuum at the actuator. I don't know how strong it needs to be but it pulls my skin in when I cover the hose connection. This leads me to believe the actuator is no good. Does the diaphragm dry rot? Anyhow, I guess I'm looking for a new actuator or a known good used one. Thanks guys.

Did you cap off the front line that would normally 0n a 94-95 go to the BPV? And run the vacuum line coming off the fender to the BPV like it use to?

Did you cap off the front line that would normally 0n a 94-95 go to the BPV? And run the vacuum line coming off the fender to the BPV like it use to?

Yes, exactly what I did. There is about equal vacuum from both sources and it doesn't open the bypass so I'm thinking the actuator is shot. I wonder how long it's been shot, probably before I made any of my changes.

Back