PDA

View Full Version : 94 sc head gaskets

pock1
08-02-2016, 12:18 PM
gm guys n gals I took my 94 sc to the Carlisle's this past june and had a good time.i saw and heard all the exhaust from the sc;s and mine was too quiet:(. I didn't have enough time to get to it before the show.my white 93 has cat-back exhaust with 2/1/2 back to borlas mufflers, sound good to me with no drone ( like the flowmasters) I had before. so when I got back home I dug in . takinf off the exhaust went no problwm till I got to the exhaust manifolds. that's; when things went down hill:mad:.I spayed w-d 40, liquid wrench for 2 days.........and still broke 3 bolts in the %^&*() head.( passenger side) driver side came off with ease. so now I know in pulling the head, head gaskets etc. sent heats to be dipped, ported, checked for cracks etc. I went with arp #153-4001 head bolts , I forgot to get the chevy set that everyone else used. I got stumped a bit when the arp studs came up short, did some reading that to get the (hat on the top I had to get them up just enough to get a few turns to bring them level).....that raised the bolts out the block. that's where im at now. I haven't torqued them down yet( and yes I use the anti seize grease, chase and clean threads). now for the tighted- sequence. the nuts are finger tight. the factory manual has the order but im using arp. the arp box say 80 fpt/ is that the end tightening ? how much to start with? any help would be great. thx tony. I try to add pic, I have to resize them. smh blah.

potshotscott
08-02-2016, 12:49 PM
I find it ironic that you have to do head gaskets because you wanted to get exhaust changes done instead of the typical blown out gasket that necessitates the work. It'll be nice to know that you have a new set of HG's though!!

pock1
08-03-2016, 09:04 AM
I find it ironic that you have to do head gaskets because you wanted to get exhaust changes done instead of the typical blown out gasket that necessitates the work. It'll be nice to know that you have a new set of HG's though!!

yeah but what a pain in the azz.I might aswell change my motor mounts since they look worn.

pock1
08-06-2016, 05:45 PM
man I tell ya I can't win. I had trouble last night with one of the head bolt holes. I cleaned the holes the a tap ( oil and metal filing came out) .tap went to the bottom and then I put in the arp head stud. when I was looking at it ( stud looked a lil low) I did this a night. hmmmmmmmmmm that don't look straight like the others:mad:. ......what to do.........took out the stud more metal came with......wth? looked in hole..some of the grooves did.t look rite. tap n die the hole a gain, use new head stud, went all the way down all is good. finget tighten the studs till am today. go out a an hr ago to do the torque , 1st hole in the sequence would hold 20 ftpd, 2 sequence holds 50 go the 3rd sequence of 80. will not hold....bolts is not tighting up.....:eek: the reat of them are tight............so what do I do now.......im so pissed I;ve rear that u can use a HELI-COIL... any help from the pros would help. since im adding a full exhaust.(headers -to borlas ) ported heads. thx guys for ur help in advance. waiting for dave Damion to get back to me. thx tony.

sam jones
08-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Good afternoon

Not an engine pro but have installed have 3.8 SC ARP head studs. I would suggest the following:

- Remove the head and all the studs and measure the lengths.

- Check the stud threads for damage.

- Take a piece of wire (or a depth micrometer) and measure the cylinder head bolt bore depth at the engine block.

- Clean all debris in the block holes. Holes must be clean and dry.

- Use ARP lub on ends the studs threads only. Install by hand with correct torque driver until stud bottoms out. Check installed height. Any problems here means the block cylinder head thread bore holes requires correction.

- Install cylinder head. If you have to use excessive force check alignment of the stud(s). Make necessary corrections. Refer to previous step.

- Apply ARP lub only on both sides of washer, and bottom of nut. Check ARP lub on stud thread. Torque, wait and recheck nut & washer torque before proceeding to the next step. 10 - 15 minutes.

Hopes this helps and Good Luck.

pock1
08-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Good afternoon

Not an engine pro but have installed have 3.8 SC ARP head studs. I would suggest the following:

- Remove the head and all the studs and measure the lengths.

- Check the stud threads for damage.

- Take a piece of wire (or a depth micrometer) and measure the cylinder head bolt bore depth at the engine block.

- Clean all debris in the block holes. Holes must be clean and dry.

- Use ARP lub on ends the studs threads only. Install by hand with correct torque driver until stud bottoms out. Check installed height. Any problems here means the block cylinder head thread bore holes requires correction.

- Install cylinder head. If you have to use excessive force check alignment of the stud(s). Make necessary corrections. Refer to previous step.

- Apply ARP lub only on both sides of washer, and bottom of nut. Check ARP lub on stud thread. Torque, wait and recheck nut & washer torque before proceeding to the next step. 10 - 15 minutes.

Hopes this helps and Good Luck.

well I took the heads off yesterday and found the hole was clear, when I went to pull the studs out ....also clear( no metal) came off the threads. I put back on the head and started the torque sequence 1. stud in the sequence kept on turning on 20 ftps and it looked like the stud was coming out of the hole:confused:. went a few more turns just to see..............and stud kept coming up and not tighting......leaving me to believe that the threads in the block is stripped.........................:mad:[email protected]#$%^&*. .now im in a bind. I;ve heard guys using a HELI-COIL but im not sturdy with that drilling and retapping........what are my moves now.......I don't feel like taking out the motor and sending it to a machine shop .smh chime in guys .thx tony.

sam jones
08-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Good evening

If the cylinder block head thread bolt threads are striped out @HELI-COIL is not what I would use.

With the engine in the car I would recommend a @KEEN-CERT or @TIME-CERT or equivalent product. The kit(s) are kinda pricey but is simple to install. The strength level is much higher than the @HELI-COIL. @KEEN-CERT @ TIME-CERT or equivalent products are used to repair damaged cylinder head threads on other cars and the infamous Ford 4.6 & 5.4 spark plug blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEOAw3qp6M

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwju-6m_rbPOAhUELSYKHa2-C28QtwIIYDAO&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXy CTh23Z6o0&usg=AFQjCNF8ZjEEYTw0OPDQPRBfkIko3YKaeQ&sig2=qLVlOdUJsLiigqndzRT15A

Ask you local machinist for additional information and or availability.

Good Luck.

pock1
08-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Good evening

If the cylinder block head thread bolt threads are striped out @HELI-COIL is not what I would use.

With the engine in the car I would recommend a @KEEN-CERT or @TIME-CERT or equivalent product. The kit(s) are kinda pricey but is simple to install. The strength level is much higher than the @HELI-COIL. @KEEN-CERT @ TIME-CERT or equivalent products are used to repair damaged cylinder head threads on other cars and the infamous Ford 4.6 & 5.4 spark plug blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEOAw3qp6M

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwju-6m_rbPOAhUELSYKHa2-C28QtwIIYDAO&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXy CTh23Z6o0&usg=AFQjCNF8ZjEEYTw0OPDQPRBfkIko3YKaeQ&sig2=qLVlOdUJsLiigqndzRT15A

Ask you local machinist for additional information and or availability.

Good Luck.

well with some work I did some checking, time cert and some other kits .......u can't use on or blocks b/c it's too brittle even though the kits come with a guide plate. I used the heli-coil last night .......and it worked. I did the sequence, and torque........ 20 50 then 80 :) I also changed the motor mount. after work I have to put back the rockers , since i didn't take them in order and mixed them up I now I have to clean, and reinstall.i don't have the factory specs and I can't find any topics on adjusting the rockers. anybody know? I have the 93 sc tech manual but not a 94-95 book. thx sam for the info.

potshotscott
08-19-2016, 05:45 PM
I have the 94-95 full service manual. Shoot me a PM and I'll host the ISO for you.