TPS - 1995 AT 61K miles

1qwik99

Hey all !

I swapped out the Fuel pump and filter (originals). The exhaust came off so easily. Now I'm getting 37 PSI KOEO and about 33 - 45 running so I think I'm good there. Problem remains when it's cold, the idle "hunts" and almost stalls sometimes till she warms up, no other performance issued noted. I've cleaned the MAF, replaced the IAC all with new Ford parts. I'm fixin to replace the TPS as I did perform the DVOM test and there are 2 flat spots, both toward the 3.9-4.0 volt area up & down, when rolling the throttle cable under the hood slowly as the videos show. Is there any "calibration" needed on our cars when swapping out the TPS? or is it plug and play. Everything on this car is STOCK, or replaced with Genuine Ford parts, no aftermarket parts at all.

Thanks

Last edited:
Tps

Thanks...Moment of truth will be Monday. On a side note, Ford put way too much blue loctite on those TPS screws. I had to use a torch to heat them up to get the loctite to let loose.

TPS issues

After all that testing and replacing parts, the simplest solution is usually the right one. I noticed that the TPS connector had 1 broken clip and the wires (original) were very tight, in that there was no play at all from the connector when it was attached to the TPS. When I removed it, I noticed that the lower clip was also damaged. I concluded that since my problem was intermittent, the connector was getting pulled slightly off during operation. I ordered another connector off the Internet ($14.00) and cut and spliced using solder on the joints and shrink tubing to weather proof. Voila ! no more "hunting" when cold and so far, no more stalling.

thanks for all the guidance you guys !:D

Back