No longer a Super Coupe owner after 27 years! Summary of Experiences.

SCLeeham

After 27 years of ownership, I've flown the Coupe. Thanks to all of you for the camaraderie and advice over the years. Here's a summary of my SC experience. It has 82,000 miles.

• It never overheated
  • No electrical problems
  • No transmission problems, except once a vacuum hose disconnected and it wouldn't shift properly. Replaced hose.
  • Oil leak for past 15 years - never worsened
  • Variable suspension failed only once when a vacuum hose under the car disconnected. I reconnected it myself.
  • No dash cracks or interior failures
  • Radio died 10 years ago and was replaced.
  • Paint still near showroom with no clearcoat separating
  • A/C failed multiple times and required multiple repairs of everything except the controller
  • Engine Controller died 15 years ago and was replaced.

Let's compare that to our 2007 Honda Odyssey, traded at 95,000 miles:

• A/C failed twice and required multiple repairs, including compressor.
  • Engine stuttered and missed - frequent check engine lights due to misfiring. Multiple repair visits couldn't fix it.
  • Front suspension had some kind of vibration that was never identified.
  • Rear view camera and DVD monitor stopped "auto dimming" and just stayed dim all the time.
  • Water pump failed
  • Power steering pump was making a noise a trade in, steering was notchy
  • Engine mounts failed - vibration
  • Alternator was making a noise at trade in

Now looking for something else. Although I'd like to have another air cooled 911, a more likely choice is an Audi or modern muscle car. It sure won't be a Honda. Air cooled 911 prices have gone through the roof lately, and the car I sold for $23K 10 years ago would now be in the $60s. I hope that happens to all you who have held on to the SuperCoupes. I still think they are way undervalued.

Regards,

Lee

I guess that's why they called it an odyssey. Hope your old bird found a nice new nest

Want a cool car that's semi affordable..Jaguar xkr. Not super expensive to fix if you break it and awesomely cool

After 27 years of ownership, I've flown the Coupe. Thanks to all of you for the camaraderie and advice over the years. Here's a summary of my SC experience. It has 82,000 miles.

• It never overheated
  • No electrical problems
  • No transmission problems, except once a vacuum hose disconnected and it wouldn't shift properly. Replaced hose.
  • Oil leak for past 15 years - never worsened
  • Variable suspension failed only once when a vacuum hose under the car disconnected. I reconnected it myself.
  • No dash cracks or interior failures
  • Radio died 10 years ago and was replaced.
  • Paint still near showroom with no clearcoat separating
  • A/C failed multiple times and required multiple repairs of everything except the controller
  • Engine Controller died 15 years ago and was replaced.

Let's compare that to our 2007 Honda Odyssey, traded at 95,000 miles:

• A/C failed twice and required multiple repairs, including compressor.
  • Engine stuttered and missed - frequent check engine lights due to misfiring. Multiple repair visits couldn't fix it.
  • Front suspension had some kind of vibration that was never identified.
  • Rear view camera and DVD monitor stopped "auto dimming" and just stayed dim all the time.
  • Water pump failed
  • Power steering pump was making a noise a trade in, steering was notchy
  • Engine mounts failed - vibration
  • Alternator was making a noise at trade in

Now looking for something else. Although I'd like to have another air cooled 911, a more likely choice is an Audi or modern muscle car. It sure won't be a Honda. Air cooled 911 prices have gone through the roof lately, and the car I sold for $23K 10 years ago would now be in the $60s. I hope that happens to all you who have held on to the SuperCoupes. I still think they are way undervalued.

Regards,

Lee

Back