Calling the old timers (Dave, RandynConnie, Duffy, George et al) Original Spark plugs

J57ltr

Hey all,

Lets step into the way back machine and take a journey to the land of the factory fresh SC. Back when I had my car and started having ignition issues and started searching for the most basic of question to us now is the car was missing under boost. Well back then (mid/late 90's) I had run across where we were talking about the waste spark ignition and how the original spark plugs were different part numbers and were single platinum one had the platinum on the electrode and the other had the platinum on the tip. I recall pulling my plugs and finding that indeed they were 2 different spark plugs and of course when replacing them went with double platinums since the original part numbers had been long discontinued and it would make no sense to install them in the car even if they were available since if they were switched they would wear out faster. Now my question is does anyone else recall the part numbers even though they are obsolete or remember which way the current flows through the coils and system?

Thanks

Jeff

Now my question is does anyone <clip>remember which way the current flows through the coils and system?

Thanks

Jeff

The coil is fired (path made to ground via the DIS) in pairs. When those two cylinders fire, one is on the ignition stroke and one on the exhaust stroke. Current flow thru the coil is illustrated below.

DIS_coil wiring example.gif

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for that, but I am interested in the current path for the secondary side and not the primary side. Do you have anything that shows the path of electron flow in the secondary circuit?

Thanks,

Jeff

This diagram shows the +/- pairing. The waste spark plug is a secondary ground for the fired plug, where each is defined depending on stroke, and magic from the transistors in the DIS.

DISBlockDiagram.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks that's cool I was having a discussion on waste spark ignition and why E3 sparkplugs (and their brethren) are a horrible idea on a forced induction DIS system.

Jeff

Back