Spinning & Cylinders

Jeff

2 quick questions.

#1.

When i'm driving and in 1st gear i start normal with a little gas but when i put the pedal down the tire's spin, its like i have no trackion. the tires are not bald so i don't know.

#2.

I got a compresson test done on my car and the guy told me my cylinders are run as so.... 1. 75 2. 65 3. 65 4. 75 5. 65 6. 75 psi. he said the min they should be running at id 100 psi is this true and if it is true do they need to be replace soon?!?

Thanks

spinning is normal in the rain, in the dry on a stock car you might have dirty roads or bad alignment, my guess is bad tires.

Yea those numbers aren't so hot, but if it doesnt puff out blue smoke when you hit the gas who cares, leave it:D

My XR-7 (AUTO) was like that in regards to wheelspin on dry pavement when I had Goodyear gatorbacks on it.
It was like driving a 5 spd Stang.
Once I switched to BF/Goodrich Comp T/A tires, the wheelspin vanished.

Proper compression test should be done as follows:

Engine warm
spark plugs ALL removed
throttle blocked open
SC bypass blocked open
coil pack unplugged

You should see 125psi min. other than that something is not too good. Ideal is about 160psi.

If you can spin the tires easily, then I doubt your motor is all bad. Does it use oil?

They must have done something wrong on that compression check. With all cylinders that low your engine should not even run. It takes around 80 psi just for the cylinder to fire. I would ask them to retest it (at no cost to you). As for tire spin, I also had a problem with Goodyear. Just could not get them to hook up. The Kuhmo tires I use now You have to really push to break loose.

At idle if I gun the car it will spin the falkens 245/50 real hard, if i launch at 1700 rpm the car will not move just bounce up and down real bad. Those com #s sound wrong, if your car had those com #s the car would barely move let alone spin the tires.

i got eagle gsc run flats and through the turns they are the best i have had but as for launching they smoke right up with little effort.255/45zr17front and 285/40zr 17 on back.
joe

I second XR7 Dave. You have to have the throttle and bypass wide open or the numbers will be low (and his gauge might be off) (or he is trying to get you to put a new engine in the car). Mine were all in the 140's (with the blown heagasket at 220 psi, hope it didn't break a ring).

Jeff

Back