upper intercooler tube wont line up!

tondog

i have my lower intercooler tube bolted down, radiator and intercooler sitting in place loosly and the upper ic tube threaded onto the sc top just a couple of threads and the the stud hole in the alternator bracket wont line up! how do i get this bolted together?

First off, if you haven't done this, be sure it unbolted from the intercooler. Remove 3 of the 4 bolts from the SC top and leave the 4th almost all the way out so that its loose.

Then, unbolt the washer fluid reservoir from the frame. Back the nut almost all the way off of the stud. Hold the upper tube in place loosely and using a 7mm socket with swivel, screw the stud into the alternator bracket being careful not to cross thread it. Loosely attach the tube to the IC.

Once you have everything lined up, put the rest of the SC top bolts in and start tightening everything up. Leave the IC for last. Don't overtighten the SC top.. 10 lbs of torque or less is about all you need. Then tighten the nut. Again, you don't need a lot of torque, 20 lbs should do. Then lastly even tighten the nuts holding the IC in place.

The big thing is keep everything loose until its all roughly in place, then tighen stuff up. If you removed the collar nut, tighten it before you fully tighten the stud nut on the bracket.

Do you still have the stock top or did you installed a raised top? Many people are not able to use the support bolt after installing the raised top and either slot or enlarge the bolt hole in the tube or leave it out all together. I like to leave at least the support bolt in the bottom tube as this does help support the weight of the intercooler.

Back