PDA

View Full Version : Chin spoiler/stone deflector

CougarXR/7
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Ok.......has anyone tried a rubber factory chin spoiler from a Ranger/Mustang even a 70 camaro on their SC? I may remove the steel chin spoiler I built from the 94' and try something different. I'm repainting the car and making some changes before Track Days next year......I Road Course.

TBirdJKC
09-26-2016, 02:23 AM
I thought about using a 71 Mach 1 chin spoiler.

Quik95SC
09-26-2016, 09:09 AM
I have used the one from a Pontiac Grand Am before it both looks good and is very functional as well. I have sold the car, or I would show you what it looks like. I believe the are still available as well.

Smitty

KMT
09-26-2016, 09:31 AM
I was using one off of an early SHO for a while. Slightly larger, but basically same as stock.

Looking for looks or pure function? Car been lowered?

CougarXR/7
09-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Looking to force more frsh air in the radiator/I.C. without tearing it up on a curb. My steel one scrapes on some curbs....but want to loose that weight. May look into the 71' Mach 1 idea.

KMT
09-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Ah - I was thinking how the factory one helps to generate a negative pressure zone under/behind the engine.

Not sure you can push more without risking contact, outside of just going quicker ;) The '71 Mach1 didn't have the modern airflow design of the SC, so a chin spoiler to help scoop air was a default in that era, I think.

I'm sure you know the routine with better radiators, seals and fans etc. so I won't go down that road.

Good luck.

Ken

CougarXR/7
09-27-2016, 10:22 AM
I removed the a/c...........have massive air flow over stock.......Track time shows short coming quickly....want just a bit more air and vent it out through the cowl/hood.

KMT
09-27-2016, 10:42 AM
It's one thing to move air into the front, but if it's not positively evacuated, it won't do much good, I think. If an SC has been lowered, the problem is made worse as flow underneath and out tends to be spoiled as well.

Effective hood venting might tricky in your example - getting up and out of the (neutral?) zone over the rear of the hood without putting something into the air stream (on a road course) and adding drag seems to be a moving target, pardon the pun ;) I think the hood you have now is better for strip runs more than for road course.

On a road course, I'd vent out near the front of the hood, behind the radiator/before the supercharger. Maybe a few small louvers in each back corner, close to the fender and windshield.

CougarXR/7
09-27-2016, 02:48 PM
The hood saves weight and I've tried to tune the vent on it using bits of yarn to get an idea how much air exits during track time. Have another idea/alternative to include larger vents/ducts to direct cooler air to the front brakes too.......

KMT
09-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Have another idea/alternative to include larger vents/ducts to direct cooler air to the front brakes too.......

Let me know if I can adopt any of that to my 'Anny for street use. Everything I've come up with is either too bulky or brings in road dirt and water.