PDA

View Full Version : five things I know from this years shoot out..

pro street rich
10-03-2016, 06:34 PM
1] if the weather outside is bad at night, the parking lot is VERY QUIET
2] Brian still knows how to cook a great meal for us...thanks
3] some people can always find a way to break their car.... even on the dyno...[it likes transmissions]
4] more races were won by the other person's "red" light then ever....
5] this hotel was there for us and everyone I think had a great week end..
Last thing, everyone I think had a great time. the weather was good to us and only rained when there was nothing going on .. so everything was good. The whole shoot out gang again did a great job for us, as did the hotel people. There was a lot of wrench turning going on as normal at a shoot out, but everyone helped out as they could.... there is one more thing, you really got to check your hood BEFORE you go for a ride..
Again everyone had a good time and it was good to see some old people as well as some new faces.....Rich

XR7 Dave
10-03-2016, 08:46 PM
10 takeaways from this year. :)

Simple maintenance (lack thereof specifically) can really kill the fun on an otherwise about-to-be killer dyno pull.
Not all roots blowers whine. At least on Corvettes they don't.
Yes, your eyes can still burn 5 parking spots down from an SC on E85 and 5 cylinders. In open air. With a breeze.
AOD's still suck.
A stick shift is a great way to make a fast SC slow.
Power is nothing without control.
You may not need an intercooler to keep ACT's under 150 @ 20psi.
You can lose and recover both your keys and cell phone on separate occasions, on the same day, and still not be sure where your wallet is.
Hoods really can fly.
You can have the baddest SC ever built and still not take home any awards/recognition at an SC Shootout.

Jacob_Royer
10-03-2016, 11:23 PM
1. Nitrous is useless in October without a bottle heater

2. My car can actually make over 300rwhp with counterweight (thanks william yaunce)

3. The new hotel was 100x better and i hope we go back!

4. The shootout is just not the same without Kurt Sunday

5. Its easy to get excited and break out by .02 bracket racing oatway!

6. AOD's can break too! (I am glad mine did not!)

7. An aermotive stealth pump can melt the factory pump plug even with
upgraded wiring!

8. A 2500lb harbor freight winch is only good for about 10 uses

9. A 300rwhp aod car will beat a 400rwhp 5 speed on the track every time.

10. The Shootout was a great time as always and I can't wait for next year!

KYSal
10-04-2016, 10:54 AM
1. Kathy's quilts have the potential to start a riot.
2. Hood blow over can make a grown woman cry.
3. Always bring a spare camera, a spare supercharger belt and a spare transmission.
4. Sanding a hood in two days will take skin off a finger.
5. New Yorker's don't play, "you WILL see it coming" :eek:
6. Red lights suck!
7. The Haub crew and Brian are award greedy.
8. Shootout tents are great!
9. Shoutouts can exist without parking lot burnouts.
10. Still the best event to be a part of!

DrFishbone
10-04-2016, 01:02 PM
1. Kathy's quilts have the potential to start a riot.

lol - that's right!

DrFishbone
10-04-2016, 06:02 PM
In no particular order...

1) Auburn Pro Diff’s are annoying/noisy when they warm up (with synthetic fluid at least)
2) Even automatics miss shifts sometimes
3) Delrin bushings make a big difference at the start line (vs stock & poly)
4) A new set of poly differential bushings are good for about 3 good passes with the stock rear mount…time to beef some more stuff up.
5) Finding a last-minute….no….last-second babysitter is easy at the track! (Thanks Amanda Royer, Jennifer Oatway and [youngest daughter] Oatway!)
6) The Haubs still can’t beat The Homans
7) Car runs a lot better with the right tune loaded – glad the first pass was just an 1/8th mile :o
8) Gates HD belts are not unbreakable! (Right, Brian?)
9) Burnouts just aren’t burnouts if you miss the water box (thanks Chris Vining!)
10) Casey knows how to giterdun! That car is going to be a serious presence with a little more work!

dthompson
10-04-2016, 06:57 PM

I dont know about every time... I missed a shift and have the video to prove it. I think the outcome could have been different if i didn't miss third. Regardless, Congrats on a winning a good race Jacob.

1. The new hotel was much nicer.
2. White SCs get little attention at the car shows.
3. Lexington is full of panhandlers.
4. Luke really doesn't want people to know what his car weighs.
5. I've got some work to improve launching the car.
6. Race track hotdogs are not a good lunch choice.
7. You can always make a 5spd wheel hop, no matter what bushings you use (but delrin is better).
8. Line locks are awesome.
9. SC folks are great to people for the most part.
10. Missing a shift will cost you the race.

neverfastenough
10-04-2016, 06:57 PM
I claim the first one :( and agree with your last one.

10 takeaways from this year. :)

Simple maintenance (lack thereof specifically) can really kill the fun on an otherwise about-to-be killer dyno pull.
Not all roots blowers whine. At least on Corvettes they don't.
Yes, your eyes can still burn 5 parking spots down from an SC on E85 and 5 cylinders. In open air. With a breeze.
AOD's still suck.
A stick shift is a great way to make a fast SC slow.
Power is nothing without control.
You may not need an intercooler to keep ACT's under 150 @ 20psi.
You can lose and recover both your keys and cell phone on separate occasions, on the same day, and still not be sure where your wallet is.
Hoods really can fly.
You can have the baddest SC ever built and still not take home any awards/recognition at an SC Shootout.

Jacob_Royer
10-04-2016, 07:10 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/20161003_120157_zpshxdazjvq.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/jacobroyer/media/20161003_120157_zpshxdazjvq.jpg.html)
I dont know about every time... I missed a shift and have the video to prove it. I think the outcome could have been different if i didn't miss third. Regardless, Congrats on a winning a good race Jacob.

1. The new hotel was much nicer.
2. White SCs get little attention at the car shows.
3. Lexington is full of panhandlers.
4. Luke really doesn't want people to know what his car weighs.
5. I've got some work to improve launching the car.
6. Race track hotdogs are not a good lunch choice.
7. You can always make a 5spd wheel hop, no matter what bushings you use (but delrin is better).
8. Line locks are awesome.
9. SC folks are great to people for the most part.
10. Missing a shift will cost you the race.

I will give you that one on the missed shift :) my car was not running
up to par at all and intermittently cut out in the semi finals! I did find out
why and glad it didn't burn the car down! Looking forward to seeing you in mod2
Next year (where we both belong lol)

davec73
10-04-2016, 09:28 PM
1. You can do a ton of work to your motor and make less power.
2. Jacob Royers car is pretty fast.
3. Racing my car on the track is a lot of fun with a real transmission.
4. 26" tires make my car trap in 5th
5. It was no fluke Daniel Haub can Bake!
6. Randy Hunerkoch can weld!
7. Nitrous makes the power it says it will.
8. The shootout is not the same without Kurt Sunday and Ken Wagner.
9. My car will never be done like David Niebert has been telling me for years.
10. I'm humbled more every year to be a part of such a great group of knuckleheads!

Jacob_Royer
10-05-2016, 03:46 AM
1. You can do a ton of work to your motor and make less power.
2. Jacob Royers car is pretty fast.
3. Racing my car on the track is a lot of fun with a real transmission.
4. 26" tires make my car trap in 5th
5. It was no fluke Daniel Haub can Bake!
6. Randy Hunerkoch can weld!
7. Nitrous makes the power it says it will.
8. The shootout is not the same without Kurt Sunday and Ken Wagner.
9. My car will never be done like David Niebert has been telling me for years.
10. I'm humbled more every year to be a part of such a great group of knuckleheads!

Told you that a real manual tranny would be 100x better! Probably need a 28"
slick now ! I think I am going that way myself

Pat DiPersia
10-05-2016, 11:17 AM
10. Having a fire at the original hotel was probably a good thing (For us, not them.)
9. Love seeing everyone jump in to help wrench on each other's car - amazing the camaraderie this group has for each other!
8. There are some REALLY loud cars. And some REALLY quiet ones! :)
7. Best event for sure - weather cooperated, hotel was great, etc etc etc. Not sure I'd change a thing in that sense.
6. Glad to see SC folks that don't even have an SC still come out. Great seeing the Vette and Marauder. We need more of the old SC crew back, even without their SCs. Face it, registration from SC owners isn't going to go up on a car that hasn't been produced in over 20 years. So happy that everyone is so welcoming of the non-SCs.
5. Glad there was no SERIOUS carnage. All of the carnage sucked, but seemed relatively minor. Still sucks to have to make that trip home knowing you have a project that wasn't planned.
4. As good as the banquet was, still miss the Oatway buffet!
3. Don't think I heard one complaint this year about the event. I think we're finally getting this figured out!
2. When did Brian get the Aflackkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk duck installed on the dyno?
1. Great stories, great people, great drunk dialing!

DrFishbone
10-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Let me help you un-learn that one Jacob! ;):p:D

Jacob_Royer
10-05-2016, 01:19 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/jacobroyer/20160812_202502_zpsba4u17wa.jpg (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/jacobroyer/media/20160812_202502_zpsba4u17wa.jpg.html)QUOTE=DrFishb one;1104370]Let me help you un-learn that one Jacob! ;):p:D

66226[/QUOTE]

That looks like one of my slips from last year! Wish the car would have been running its norm :( 12.70/107 was my average
2015!

Last track outing this year I did this

DrFishbone
10-05-2016, 01:33 PM
I bet it was a lot warmer that day too... :confused:

I had a 7.989 1/8mi on Sunday...turned into my fastest 1/4 to date too (12.521s).

There were other people that said their cars were running slow too though....I wonder if there was a common cause?

aroot1
10-05-2016, 01:40 PM
1. Nitrous is useless in October without a bottle heater

2. My car can actually make over 300rwhp with counterweight (thanks william yaunce)

3. The new hotel was 100x better and i hope we go back!

4. The shootout is just not the same without Kurt Sunday

5. Its easy to get excited and break out by .02 bracket racing oatway!

6. AOD's can break too! (I am glad mine did not!)

7. An aermotive stealth pump can melt the factory pump plug even with
upgraded wiring!

8. A 2500lb harbor freight winch is only good for about 10 uses

10. The Shootout was a great time as always and I can't wait for next year!

LOL!!!! ANYTHING bought at Harbor Freight is only good 4 about 10 uses!

Pat DiPersia
10-05-2016, 03:13 PM
There were other people that said their cars were running slow too though....I wonder if there was a common cause?

Wonder if it had anything to do with the blocks I put under everyone's pedal.

Kurt Sunday
10-05-2016, 03:19 PM
A new job caused me to miss this year but I still learned a couple of things:

1. It is very hard for your new coworkers to understand how you’re missing being at a hotel with Captain Kangaroo, Abe Lincoln, Magnum PI, Macklemore, and a dude in Elf Shoes.

2. Turn off your phone around midnight or you'll be fstick text bombed.

3. I also agree that the hotel was great. Early Saturday morning they graciously connected me to several of your rooms so I could invite you to Bill Evanoff's room for some special cuddling.

4. You guys are like family and I really missed you!

5. IVEY!

Also, very big Thank You to Melissa Butler for the FaceBook Live posts!

DrFishbone
10-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Wonder if it had anything to do with the blocks I put under everyone's pedal.

teeheee.....

nawww

XxSlowpokexX
10-05-2016, 05:21 PM
How many SC's showed up?

Jacob_Royer
10-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I bet it was a lot warmer that day too... :confused:

I had a 7.989 1/8mi on Sunday...turned into my fastest 1/4 to date too (12.521s).

Yeah 94f! But the track prep was alot better I was running consistant 1.70/1.71 60's id say my fuel pump wiring
Failure was not helping matters car cut out on me bad in the semi finals almost lost to michael inch because of
it.

DrFishbone
10-06-2016, 12:54 PM
How many SC's showed up?

Looks like about 25-30, I think.

There was maybe only 15 or so that raced though.

SCrazy
10-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Looks like about 25-30, I think.

There was maybe only 15 or so that raced though.

I know that we issued at least 46 car numbers so I think the total car count is right around that number, we had 27 cars registered to race.

XxSlowpokexX
10-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Ill try to make next year if I feel comfortable getting my car there. 27 Sc's though is a good showing

89XR7TD
10-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Ill try to make next year if I feel comfortable getting my car there. 27 Sc's though is a good showing

Yes, go boyyyyy :)

DrFishbone
10-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Good to hear! :)

ALS35
10-10-2016, 04:30 PM
I learned:
1. You can break down on the dyno and have to watch the racing while gritting your teeth.
2. Even broken I got a pretty good dyno number ... 361 rwhp.
3. Lentech valve bodies are good if the installation detail is good.
4. Turbo cars were noticeably absent from the track.
5. Even the big dogs can beat themselves.

Turns out that my trans problem could have been prevented with a 5 cent zip tie when the valve body was installed. Three days at the tranny shop to correct the problem. The power wire to the overdrive lockout solenoid got caught on the shift valve and pulled in when attempting to shift up. Blew the fuse and jammed the shifter.

I took the car to the track yesterday after it was repaired. Typical lack of track prep and a lot of street squirrels on road tires.
I managed to go 11.999 seconds at 113.34 mph. I wish it had been at the Shootout.
Oh yaa, I almost forgot ... Matt got beat by a girl! He has joined the 'I got beat by Sarah' club, along with me and Dave Dalke.
Alan

David Neibert
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Top 10 things I learned this year...

1. Using a foam gun and a cordless leaf blower to clean my car looked silly but it made the job much easier on my back.

2. The bushes behind the pool was not a good spot for homeless people to sleep Friday night.

3. Some people take the TBU junk box auction to literally (not supposed to be 100% junk)

4. Randy & Dan will do whatever it takes to make the stuff they sell fit your car.

5. It is possible to win a Car Show trophy, with the car up on jack stands for the entire day.

6. Misfiring at high rpm issue I’ve had for the past two years was caused by being too lean, not rich.

7. Turbocharged SCs are getting more impressive every year (Loving Corey’s Car)

8. Nobody in our group wants to race 1/8 mile, and would rather park their car and wait for track to dry.

9. It’s possible to get in my head and cause me to red light by 2 tenths (Good job Luke !)

10. Seeing all my SC friends and meeting new ones….never gets old.

David

DrFishbone
10-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Oh yaa, I almost forgot ... Matt got beat by a girl! He has joined the 'I got beat by Sarah' club, along with me and Dave Dalke.

That's right...Sarah has whipped us on Danielle and I both now. :)

Nettlesd
10-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Sarah's the man......err...Sarah's the woman.

CMac89
10-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Lets seeeeeee

1) Your mind can play tricks on you whenever the solution is typically simpler than what you think it is.
2) Sarah doesn't just kick her husband's butt; she kicks everyone's butt.
3) SVOs don't natually sound that weird; you just have to plug all your plug wires in.
4) Rain rain go away...tryna get work done today.
5) Neebz' car has a lifetime warranty through SCUi :)
6) We need to have a Hug Station for disappointment at the track and dyno.
7) Brand new crank sensors can die whenever you're driving it around the track.
7a) That's gotta be a sign, because I'm ballsy when I'm excited.
8) I don't have friends until I get to the Shootout.
8a) Car builds > friends = Shootout friends
9) I remember I adopted Phil, and someone needs to send him on his way!
10) You have to check and yell "CLEAR" before you fire fuel drenched cylinder's coils. (Anybody home, Binks??)

Not possible express enough thanks to such a helpful group. Vining for helping with a portable tent, supplies to glue the intake down properly, Phil in the holster for anything needed, Binks for wrenching/diagnosing, and everyone else who helped.

Rich helped out big time and was ever so gracious enough to deliver a hood to my place in Indy on the way home from the Shootout. That's an incredible thing to do for someone and couldn't thank you enough, buddy.

I'm getting married next year, so i still hope to have enough time to be better prepared, but I'm sure I will!

Quik95SC
10-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Well this year was a little disappointing, even before the hood incident, but I still wouldn't miss it!

1) Always double check your hood to be sure it is latched correctly before driving off anywhere!
2) Don't think for one minute that even though you changed nothing on your car that it will be ready come shootout time, (that won't happen again!)
3) Seeing your car on a trailer all day at the track is very depressing!
4) Unexpected wrenching on your own car at the shootout sucks, you miss so much of the event!
5) You never know who will step up to help a fellow SC'er in your time of need, but rest assured someone will! (Thanks Randy H. I really appreciate your assistance this year!)
6) Always double check your hood to be sure it is latched correctly before driving off anywhere!

Hope everyone had a good time despite a few break downs, as it usually happens to a few every year.

Hope to see some more folks for an Epic Drive in the future!

Smitty