2016 Shootout Weight Data

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
I didn't have as many takers on the scale this year as last year, but here are the weights I recorded:

Ira Robinson 4??? (I forget)
Sarah Homan 3554
Derek Thompson 3701
Cory Binks 3737
Chris Vining (Marauder) 4178
Adam ?? 3900
Stock 92 (name?) 3732
Dave Clark 4021
Will Smith 3389

The weights I've collected over the last 3 years (if I've weighed your car more than once, I've listed the most recent weight):

Brian Oatway 2957
Will Smith 3389
Sarah Homan 3554
Dave Dalke 3675
Jim Smith 3684
Chris Vining 3686
Derek Thompson 3701
Matt Haub 3725
Scott Bruhn 3731
Stock 92 (name?) 3732
Cory Binks 3737
Jeff Bratton 3738
Chris Homan 3776
Ryan Zimmerly 3806
Jacob Royer 3819
Zachary Lowe 3838
Rich Bruhn (BB car) 3891
Kurt Kreisz 3892
Kurt Sunday 3892
Adam ?? 3900
Steven Watson 3923
John Speziale 3988
Dave Clark 4021
Jim Sanderson 4022
Chris Wise 4038
Ken Wagner 4102

I've now weighed 26 individual MN12s at the Shootout. The average weight of all these cars is 3778. If you take away the two lightest and two heaviest cars as statistical outliers (Brian's car and my car really skew the average down), the average goes up a bit to 3805.

It's hard to make any real conclusions from this data, given how modified the typical car at the Shootout is. Some mods save weight (aluminum LCAs, etc) while others add weight (Cobra brakes, stereo stuff, etc.). And of course some cars had more fuel than others, so not all car-to-car comparisons are apples to apples.

Somehow I completely missed that you brought them this year. I really wanted
to see what changes I have made added

Sorry to anyone who didn't get to weigh a car. I try to be available as much as possible, but we also tried to set up out of the way, which meant they were by the tent. If you weren't looking for the scales, you may not have seen them.

Do you happen to remember what the highest or average front to rear weight ratio was?

Do you happen to remember what the highest or average front to rear weight ratio was?

Not from this year. I only have that data from 2014: Zach Lowe's Cougar had the best F/R weight ratio (53.2/46.8) and the average was 56.6/43.5 (yeah, that's 100.1%, but rounding).

And even though our gas tanks are sort of centrally located, fuel load does make a difference. Adding 75 pounds of gas improved F/R weight distribution on my car by .8%.

I looked back at my notes from this year and last year. My front was 58.2% and the rear was 41.9% last year. I dropped about 60-70 lbs this year and the distribution was 58.4% front and 41.6% rear. My fuel level is as similar as i could get it, probably within 2 gallons (guessing less). The the biggest chunks of weight reduction came out of the rear suspension components.

That's interesting. These cars are so long it's just the way it is. I'm pretty sure my car will be 60%, but I still have a cage to put in. I have a fuel cell in the trunk as well as the battery and a 6 gallon water tank for intercoolers. Then the solid axle rear would be an improvement on traction since it's unsprung weight.

Two turbos and intercoolers doesnt make it any better. I did move the motor back about 1.5 to 2" though

I'm kicking myself for being lazy and not getting on your scales!

Yea, your scales should have been down by the dumpster or up by the cones. I'd say up by the cones would have worked out well for you.

8NcrDA.jpg

2017 #s with no jack or spare or sub

I assume all weights were without the driver? I wish I could have made the shootout, my junker weighs about 2,760 without me in it. Although I guess I would have been all bent out of shape if I drove up from Texas and it was a rain out.

Back