1992 SC Firm ride flashing

BossII

So i got my new used 92 supercoupe. The firm light is flashing, so i went to test it to see what it might be. Unhooked the number three actuator (front passenger) Everything looked good. Go test it and now number four is flashing (front driver). It seems like it's jumping between the two front shocks. So might be a bad relay? Anyone have any part numbers for relays? Should of grabbed some parts from the 89 sc before it went off to the scrap yard (totaled it after wiping out two deer)

So no frim ride light comes on now when i switch to firm and i get one front shock flashing for the firm and the other front shock also flashes when set to auto.

Last edited:
Glancing at Shop Manual its either bad actuators, wiring, Shocks, or Control Module. I'd check the module--I had to replace some caps on mine. You will know if you have a bad cap, and if you can solder its not that big of a job.

Good evening

Start with the basics.

Open trunk and disconnect the package tray and find the module. Check the connector for corrosion (water leakage from rear window/trunk body seal). Check for routing, pinched harness. Apply die-electrical grease and re-tighten. Cycle switch.

Disconnect the the actuator connectors. Check for routing, exposed wiring cable and or corrosion. Apply die-electrical grease and reconnect. Cycle switch.

Have someone put there hand on the actuators and you cycle the FIRM/AUTO switch.

Does any actuator feel weak or the FIRM/AUTO light intermittent during any of the above test?

A surprise to me. Check the switch/connector. Any extra effort to open and close the switch? I had a bad switch cycle both rears only simultaneously and intermittently.

Good Luck.

Yeah i was checking the front actuator per the test i find on the 35th anni site which said to remove the actuator and test the system to see if the adjustment pin was frozen.

I first pulled the #3 (front passenger) which was flashing at me. It then switched to the front driver side, so i pulled it apart and tried turn the needle and it was frozen so a little bit of spray lubricant stuff (forgot the name) :rolleyes: and got it to move.

Put it all back together and now the system won't turn onto firm ride and it flash either #3 or #4 depending on the switch position.

I can hear a bunch of clicking coming from the relay, depending on how hard i push on the brake and how hard i accelerate also if i try to switch between modes.

The car does have only 110K KMS so i don't know what it's doing.

Does the rear tray just unclip or something?

So i have to remove the entire backseat and etc to get the rear tray out? UGH ford doesn't make this easy. and the relay is just a standard relay?

Ah read the post a little more clearly and i got it lol

Last edited:
so i got the tray figured out. Very cool it's just a drop out piece. So i figured out the other shock it was because i never lined the shock back up right or something but i got it to stop.

The passenger side actuator is bad.

So now i need to buy a used actuator, anyone got one? I don't got pay pal and i live in canada.

Back