Tranny abuse

blksc

Im building up my 94SC and i wanted to know how much abuse/power the 4r70w can take. Im not pushing a whole lot of power now, but in the future i will.

beware the 4R70W will not handle much abuse. mine just went out and my car is all stock. another one of my friends that has a stang which is mildly modified went through 3 rebuilds on his in under a year. so what i'm going to do is purchase a built 4R70W from lentech, which is an exceptional transmission building company. another friend of mine runs a lentech prepped AOD in his 91 LX stang(which is pushing 600 hp) and he's had no problems. i'm looking at the street terminator. check it out here:
Lentech

there are several conditions that wear out the transmission. when it comes down to it, ford was cheap when building the transmissions for our cars(and several other cars actually). you can replace all the cheap parts on the aod,aode,and 4R70W, but you will more than likely want a shop to do it, and it will be costly. you can check out some helpful information at tccoa, and i also believe that sccoa also has a FAQ section. here's the link for tccoa.
tranny help

I guess i meant was it slippage or component failure ? doesnt ford use this trans in the cobra ?

I heard most of the wear comes from the marshmellowe valvebody.

ford has never used a 4R70W in a cobra. there has never been a production cobra that has been an auto. most of the problems are component failure which do lead to slippage, and many other bad things.

Back