AOD Mods?

aroot1

SCCoA Member
Just picked up a low mileage '90 Lincoln LSC (5.0 HO/AOD), which broke the TV clip and promptly smoked OD :mad: Anyway out of adversity comes greatness, LOL! So I have a known good low mi replacement, and am looking for a good/cost effective route to high perf 90% street 10% strip trans upgrades/improvements. At this point I am seeing 3 options, all of which will probably combined with gears (3.55-3.73) a slightly higher stall (24-2800) converter and maybe up graded servo pistons (A+) ;

#1 J-Mod

#2 B&M shift improver kit (happen to have 2 on the shelf, but have never actually installed one).

#3 constant pressure valve body (there R several out there, TCI and Silver Fox r at the top of my list thus far). Biggest plus here 4 me is eliminating the dam TV cable failure = trans failure

I would love to eliminate the 1-D-1 shuffle when manually shifting. Looking at silver foxes site (the only company who mentions this) it looks like stepping up to a stage 4 body. They recommend that for over 400hp race apps, which I don't think I want or need (also a significant price jump, bout double stage 1).

Any way, anyone out there done/used/lived with any of these and have plus-minuses? Other suggestions/recommendations? I would love to hear 'em. Also r any of these mix and match, ie use mods from B&M kit WITH the J-Mod or valve body, or J-mod steps with valve body?

Thanks

Adam

Good evening

#1 J-Mod

To my understanding this mod applies to the 4R70W. Ref http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...s&txt=Ford OD Transmissions 101 - Jerry's mod

#2 B&M shift improver kit (happen to have 2 on the shelf, but have never actually installed one).

Never installed in a SC but a 3.8 LX. Crisp and snappy transmission shift (1-3). No change in overdrive. Livable for the daily driver.

#3 constant pressure valve body (there R several out there, TCI and Silver Fox r at the top of my list thus far). Biggest plus here 4 me is eliminating the dam TV cable failure = trans failure

Some of the TV cable failure is incorrect adjustment and or pressure check. Another is the cable security. The plastic bushing my be worn on both the throttle body and transmission. Replacing them is a good start. A better fix is the upgraded bushing kit. Good information here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?134482-TV-cable-adjustment

Just a heads up. Make sure your replacement transmission has the at least the "B" OD piston. A "C" OD piston transmission (N/A 3.8 L) installed in a 5.0 won't be in OD operation very long. See post: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?41516-N-A-t-bird-AOD-vs-SC-AOD/page2

Good Luck.

2"Carbon OD band
AODE drums
Mechanical Diode
Sliver Fox SPT-R Valve body
A++ O/D Servo

My trans came form Silver Fox with all the above plus some, when OEM build were lasting ~6k miles, and that was about 7years ago now still going good.

Lentech valvebody, a quality converter (Precision Industries) that won't ballon plus upgrade whatever internals you can for it.

HUH..... I watched a you tube vid, and read some "how to's" and read AODE as AOD every time. Wishful thinking I guess :rolleyes:. Thanks For the J Mod heads up Sam. The silver fox stuff is looking more interesting Good to hear a solid endorsement 4 their suff

OOps dbl post sorry:confused:

Last edited:
HUH..... I watched a you tube vid, and read some "how to's" and read AODE as AOD every time. Wishful thinking I guess :rolleyes:. Thanks For the J Mod heads up Sam. The silver fox stuff is looking more interesting Good to hear a solid endorsement 4 their stuff. Also going to look into lentec.
Thanks
Adam

Not to knock Lentech, but save yourself some money and get it from SilverFox. They are the same thing--as much as Patent law allows.

While my experience was not perfect with SilverFox, I still recommend him

Best mod for an AOD is to throw it in the trash and replace it with a 4R70. For what you would spend upgrading the AOD, you can buy a used low-mileage V6 Mustang 4R70, and a stand-alone controller for it, and in addition to the trans already having much stronger internals and never having to worry about a TV cable again, you will get the wide-ratio gearset, and much more tuneability of shift points, shift firmness, and torque converter lockup than you could ever hope for with the boat-anchor of a trans you have.

A V6 4R that can take a SC torque delivery or even a HO 5.0? My setup cost me ~$1800 and I have a Lifetime Warranty. So figure $800 for controller, $350 for core, another $200 for rebuild kit, plus convertor or drive shaft modifications; and you still don't have the same level of components I have in mine.

Cheaper maybe, but I say its a wash.

Best mod for an AOD is to throw it in the trash and replace it with a 4R70. For what you would spend upgrading the AOD, you can buy a used low-mileage V6 Mustang 4R70, and a stand-alone controller for it, and in addition to the trans already having much stronger internals and never having to worry about a TV cable again, you will get the wide-ratio gearset, and much more tuneability of shift points, shift firmness, and torque converter lockup than you could ever hope for with the boat-anchor of a trans you have.
Stand-alone controllers are much better then they were when I tried this very route almost 20 years ago. If I didn't have an AOD that I was happy with, I'd consider this very route.

A V6 4R that can take a SC torque delivery or even a HO 5.0? My setup cost me ~$1800 and I have a Lifetime Warranty. So figure $800 for controller, $350 for core, another $200 for rebuild kit, plus convertor or drive shaft modifications; and you still don't have the same level of components I have in mine.

Cheaper maybe, but I say its a wash.

Yes. The 99+ V6 Mustang trans has the exact same internals as the same year V8 4R70. I have run them behind multiple 5.0s with no issues.

For an apples to apples comparison all I listed is still needed, or its like say a used car is cheaper than a new car.

Wide ratio is an awesome bang for the buck upgrade when building an AOD I absolutely love mine!

I am running the following in my AOD:

Alto red clutches
2" od band
mechanical diode
a+ servo
31 spline input shaft (1pc)
Art Carr Extreme OD lockout vb
Wide ratio 4r70w gearset
9" 2800rpm non locking billet dirty dog converter

When i installed this thing it literally shaved .4 off my 60' and made the car MUCH more enjoyable! I have been running this since
2014 and have well over a 100 passes on it and lots of miles and not only is it fun its MUCH faster

Well, I guess I shoulda asked BEFORE I picked up a known good, low mi on rebuild AOD from a buddy. The better choice seems to b the 4R70. I will keep that in mind moving forward. I am the kinda guy who likes to jump in once and get it ALL done, but I think this time I'm gonna just throw one of the B&M kits in this trans, and possibly a converter. 4R70 will be the "next" phase. The AOD and 4R70 use the same converter correct?

Thanks

Adam

Well, I guess I shoulda asked BEFORE I picked up a known good, low mi on rebuild AOD from a buddy. The better choice seems to b the 4R70. I will keep that in mind moving forward. I am the kinda guy who likes to jump in once and get it ALL done, but I think this time I'm gonna just throw one of the B&M kits in this trans, and possibly a converter. 4R70 will be the "next" phase. The AOD and 4R70 use the same converter correct?

Thanks

Adam

No, the 4R70w TC has a clutch that the computer controls the AOD is purely hydraulic. This is the only thing you can't get with a AOD, and the only thing different form AODs like mine and Jacobs. A built AOD now is internally a 4R70 with certain aftermarket parts like a 300M input shaft, and extra lube mods.

Back