IC Tubing

I just bump them with a hard plastic mallet 'till they pop loose.

Don't have that, get a short piece of 2x4 and whack it with a regular ballpeen, etc. They're just stuck, not wedged, so much, I think. Be gentle, tho...you don't want to ding or distort anything in that area.

But if you mean the collar up at the supercharger hat/outlet, the best way is to use the +/-$60 OTC spanner so you don't damage it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I originally thought you meant the clamps at the intercooler flanges, not the collar nut on the hat.

The collar nut on the hat has a spec of 200+ ft. lbs. If it's still at that spec (and it should be), you won't get it free with a couple love taps, and fastest way to scar it up is to use anything but the purpose built spanner good to doo mentioned. It's powder coated (finding the right touch up paint is tough) and that stuff doesn't take lightly to being directly hammered on, chipped, etc. Same thing when re-installing.

Last edited:
That'll eliminate having to break loose 1 of the collar nuts.........................:rolleyes:........:D

Unless it's not completely snug when you start, then you'll need the spanner regardless, and still have to re-seal the top in the bargain ;) Just don't forget the bolt that hides down below the alternator.

Unless it's not completely snug when you start, then you'll need the spanner regardless, and still have to re-seal the top in the bargain ;) Just don't forget the bolt that hides down below the alternator.

Yeah, that dam nut behind the alternator is a bear, once I removed it for the first time I threw it in the garbage along with the power steering bracket that connects to the water pump............:eek:

Yeah, that dam nut behind the alternator is a bear, once I removed it for the first time I threw it in the garbage along with the power steering bracket that connects to the water pump............:eek:

funny...mine is lost in a bolt box somewhere :p

I agree.....I had always put mine back on, but very loosely. I don't really think that it's at all necessary--the upper tube is more than stable enough from just the intercooler and top hat. Something tells me that with Kuchta and the MN12 budget being over the desired goals, I would have personally cut the bolt/ nut metal bracket and saved a small bit of money.

Not to threadjack this too much, but that power steering bracket is also there on my 3.8 Mustang (the '99's sharing the same coil pack, oil filter and some other things as well). Is it just to stabilize the power steering pump? I was always wondering that.

Last edited:

May be the Engineers had a vision of 300 plus horsepower, and we we only got what? 225. Pretty lax.

Back