Spark Plug Change. Yikes!

scotty54

Looking to buy a real nice SC but I am not familiar with the cars and am doing some research. I have been on the phone with SC Performance (very helpful) and have also been poring over this forum.

When changing spark plugs, can some of the blower ducting be removed to make it easier (air cleaner to blower to intercooler)? I can only SEE one plug and it looks like a nightmare to even get to that one. I do the majority of mechanical work myself and I realize I have a lot to learn about this car, but tune-up and oil change comes first.

Thanks for the replies.

It,s not that bad of a job. Do them all from under the car. Get the car high enough so you can fit under there and go at it. It helps if you are contortionist.

P-side can be done from above, but since you are below for the D-side anyways it's easier. Plug 4 is the pain, but after your first try its easy enough, but again D-side is a must from below. The IC tubing is in the way unless you have very very small strong hands.

Yeps, underneath with loads of swivels, extensions, etc. Be careful to not crack a plug going back in and be sure the new wires are _fully_ seated/snapped on.

If you want to try to pass. side from above, remove the air intake tube, then the four bolts holding the A/C compressor to the accy. bracket and just lay it to the side.

Good luck - you'll need it ;)

Ken

I don't see to understand why so many people say these plugs are so bad. I do them from the top. I remove the intake tube between the mass air and the throttle body and don't move anything else. The first time took about 35-40 min. Every time there after maybe 20 min and always from the rip I feel tghese plugs are very easy and have lots of room to be changed.

I don't see to understand why so many people say these plugs are so bad. I do them from the top. I remove the intake tube between the mass air and the throttle body and don't move anything else. The first time took about 35-40 min. Every time there after maybe 20 min and always from the rip I feel tghese plugs are very easy and have lots of room to be changed.

It depends.....if one has small arms and is not uh, portly, the passenger's side can be done somewhat easily. If one has bigger arms, it would be a tough task to do it, because it's tight.

It does help to remove the intake tubing, and if one is going to ditch the A/C it makes it ridiculously easy to change on the passenger's side, especially if you remove the A/C compressor. On the driver's side, the plug by the firewall can be accessed from above, but the other two are difficult. I found it easier to go from beneath the car, just because the angle of trying to put the plugs back in (craning your wrist in a contorted, opposite than intended manner) to be difficult. It's easier to run the risk of dropping a plug and breaking it from up top, whereas under the car, you can angle yourself in an advantageous position to make it a bit more pleasant to deal with. The big issue for me was that you're basically going in blind, going by feel as to where exactly it is, and it helps to have a light under the car, which makes locating the holes much easier.

I highly recommend swapping to a single turbo setup, the plugs are then a lot easier to get to.

I personally have never been able to get all the plugs out from underneath. Instead, I just dive right into removing the things in the way, and it usually winds up taking me about 2 hours to change all the plugs, but they are a casual and stress free 2 hours, which I much prefer to an hour of intense aggravation. The one thing you will need the first time is a power steering pulley removal tool. Remove the pulley, remove the bracket that goes from the pump to the water pump and throw it away. From now on, you will be easily able to loosen that whole side bracket. To get to the plugs on the driver's side, remove the upper intercooler tube, then remove the intercooler itself, then unhook the lower intercooler tube from the inlet at the back of the motor. The lower tube is bolted to the accessory bracket, so now remove the 3 bolts that hold the bracket on, and slide the whole thing forward, and you now have plenty of room to access those plugs. All the power steering hoses can be left attached and will have enough slack to not have to touch them. For the passenger side, I remove the intake tube, and then just unbolt the AC compressor and slide it forward. Once again, there is enough slack in the hoses that you don't need to disconnect them, and once it is unbolted, you can slide it forward and out of the way.

I personally have never been able to get all the plugs out from underneath. Instead, I just dive right into removing the things in the way, and it usually winds up taking me about 2 hours to change all the plugs, but they are a casual and stress free 2 hours, which I much prefer to an hour of intense aggravation. The one thing you will need the first time is a power steering pulley removal tool. Remove the pulley, remove the bracket that goes from the pump to the water pump and throw it away. From now on, you will be easily able to loosen that whole side bracket. To get to the plugs on the driver's side, remove the upper intercooler tube, then remove the intercooler itself, then unhook the lower intercooler tube from the inlet at the back of the motor. The lower tube is bolted to the accessory bracket, so now remove the 3 bolts that hold the bracket on, and slide the whole thing forward, and you now have plenty of room to access those plugs. All the power steering hoses can be left attached and will have enough slack to not have to touch them. For the passenger side, I remove the intake tube, and then just unbolt the AC compressor and slide it forward. Once again, there is enough slack in the hoses that you don't need to disconnect them, and once it is unbolted, you can slide it forward and out of the way.

It's funny that this method of changing spark plugs would be considered the "easy" way, by removing what is probably a 1/4 to a third of what resides in the engine bay. I love these cars, but man they sure dug their own grave most of the time in the scrap heap for many people. :D

Back