Door Lock Module?

ALS35

SCCoA Member
I have an interesting and annoying problem.
Last week I parked the car in the driveway and the door locks wouldn't lock with the key fob.
Here is what I found so far:
The locks work to lock with the door buttons but not unlock.
The trunk popper doesn't work at all.
The gas door popper doesn't work at all.
None of the interior lights or trunk light work.
The car turns over but won't start.
I checked all the fuses and they are all good. The seats still move. The windows still work.
When I press the door button to unlock I can here a clicking in the trunk.
All the troubleshooting in the Ford manual points to a bad door lock module.
The question is, why will the car not start with bad door locks? There is no anti-theft module in my car and even if there was that would cause the engine to not turn over.
Any ideas?
Alan

The car turns over but won't start.

Have you performed the obligatory multi-wire ignition switch check, down on the side of the steering column (not the key cylinder)?

How many volts at the battery key off?

With the headlights on, do they dim when trying to start the engine?

Its very coincidental that my 95 is doing the same exact thing. Im having issues with the auto lamp staying on all the time as well. If I come across any info in my research I'll let ya know.

So... it turns out that I needed to separate the issues. It was a pure coincidence that the lock module failed at the same time as the car would not start.
The battery on my Quarterhorse died. Five years after installation. Now I'm in the process of returning it to Moates. They said they would replace it with a new one that has a changeable battery. The unit I have has the welded in battery.
The door locks are a different issue. I got a replacement used module and it works less than the one I took out.
My pain continues.
Alan

Back