93 sc dilemma

tmz93sc

well the timing cover on my sc is leaking oil and coolant and im not quite sure what to do, im considering just getting a new long block from bill at scp because i cant justify paying my mechanic a lot of money to replace the timing cover on a high mileage motor 126000, now some of you might say to do it yourself but i have never torn in to a motor, so i am asking what would you do if you were in my position? fix it the way it is now or just get a new motor, i have a passion for supercoupes and have way to much $ in this car. this car is my baby

I wouldn't consider 126K to be high mileage, and if there are no other issues with the engine, I certainly wouldn't be looking to replace it for a leaking timing cover gasket. That being said, that mileage is getting close to when head gaskets usually go, which can cause a perfectly good engine to fail, so you might want to do that as a preventative measure, and if you are putting that much into it, it would be nice to inspect the bottom end to make sure all is well, so what might be a good idea is to pull the motor out of the car first and pull the oil pan off and check the condition of the bearings in the bottom end. If all those are in good shape, then with the motor out of the car it makes head gaskets and the timing cover gasket much easier, and you can also reseal the oil pan, which are known to develop leaks, as well as a new rear main seal, and then put the same motor back in with confidence that it won't grenade on you. On the other hand, if you pull the pan and the bearings are getting worn, then your idea of buying a complete motor might make more sense, and it would be easier to justify the expense knowing that this one was worn.

Good afternoon

Depends on the overall health of the engine. For example:

- Does it burn excessive oil and or low oil pressure. Is there mixing of coolant and oil in the oil pan and or dipstick
- Is the coolant excessively low and or engine overheating
- Unusual sounds such as knocking/ticking
- Are the cylinders compression within limits
- Added. Poll inquiry on blown head gaskets. Just a heads up. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?97352-Blown-HG-s
- Bonus. Check fuel pressures

If you and or the mechanic are satisfied with the inspection and or tests, changing the timing chain cover gasket and or cover would be economical route. I would recommend the replacement of the following:

- Harmonic balancer, bolt and washer
- Replacement of the timing chain cover seal
- inspection of the engine and transmission mounts,
- Replace the water pump
- Replace defective coolant hoses
- Remove the radiator and have it checked out
- Replace thermostat
- Belts
- Change oil and filter

Or....

Replace the short block (@2K$) and consider the following costs:

- Cost of machine shop checking the heads and flywheel (5 speed)
- Head bolts or stud kit
- Harmonic Balancer
- Overhaul gasket kit
- Lifters (if necessary)
- Oil pump and filter
- Water pump
- Coolant system components: Radiator checked, hoses, thermostat, hoses
- Engine and transmission mounts
- Clutch components (5 speed)
- Torque converter and or flex plate (Automatic)
- Plugs and wires
- Fluids and sealants
- Belts
- Fuel system components (filter, fuel pump, injectors, injector manifold)
- Miscellaneous items (ground straps, battery cables, electrical harness and or connector repair, sensors, EGR tube, ect)

And probably a thousand other things many member of this forum have run into. The choice is yours.

Good Luck.

I just did this repair on my '89 SC w/ 230k miles and climbing (daily driver).

Depending on your plans for the car (sounds like you plan to keep it for a while if considering investing in a new long block) I replaced the timing cover gasket, balancer, crank/cam/dis sensors all for simple good measure. I want to say I spent a total of $300 with the balancer and DIS making up over half of that. Parts came from about every source possible (who ever was the lowest or had a coupon code) got my business.

I don't understand how paying a mechanic to replace a front cover could be as much as full motor replacement either...seems a little drastic to me.

If you need direction on where I found what for the cheapest or what online codes I used to get the best discounts I'd be glad to help.

-Tim

thanks for the response guys, you all had some very valid points that i have to consider, some things i forgot to mention in my first post, on top of the timing cover leaking the oil pan and rear main are leaking as well, so the tranny has to come out anyways, some things i have going in my favor is headgaskets were done at 105k heads were sent out and freshened up along with new valve seats, i had a bhj balancer installed around 90k, the oil is still clean no signs of coolant, car runs at normal temp. doesnt overheat, the one thing that i have noticed is it does have some noise in the bottom end (bearing noise ?) more noticeable on a cold start,i am getting ready to put this car away for the winter in another month so i have to make a decision soon, my plan was to save some $ over the winter and get the new longblock, but now im leaning towards talking to my mechanic and replace everything as mentioned, will keep you updated.

If the car is going to be away for the winter, pull the motor first. The motor will have to come out to replace the oil pan gasket and rear main seal anyway. Once it is out, you can pull the pan off, and check the condition of the bottom end bearings. Like I said, if the bearings are worn, then you might as well get a long-block, but if the bearings are in good shape, and you already did head gaskets, then there is no sense replacing a perfectly good engine, just re-seal the one you have, clean it up, and put it back in.

update

well i have an update on my car... i found a mechanic who used to have an sc and knows these cars, im going to have him do the timing cover, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket, i will be supplying all the parts from bill at scp.. all 3 dis sensors- new balancer bolt/washer for bhj balancer/ felpro lower gasket set, waterpump thermostat, 255 lph fuel pump, fuel filter.. factory fuel pump is probably on its last legs....the one thing im not sure of is where to get the timing chain cover??? are these discontinued from ford?? will i have to find a used one? also the timing chain itself should i replace that as well

well i have an update on my car... i found a mechanic who used to have an sc and knows these cars, im going to have him do the timing cover, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket, i will be supplying all the parts from bill at scp.. all 3 dis sensors- new balancer bolt/washer for bhj balancer/ felpro lower gasket set, waterpump thermostat, 255 lph fuel pump, fuel filter.. factory fuel pump is probably on its last legs....the one thing im not sure of is where to get the timing chain cover??? are these discontinued from ford?? will i have to find a used one? also the timing chain itself should i replace that as well

You would not need to replace the cover, just clean the gasket mating surfaces and reuse.

-Tim

Yeah no need to replace it. The only timing chain covers that work for these cars come from wrecker 3.8 Mustangs (or of course other SC's). I'm with the rest of the people that mention doing the balancer while you're in there.

Back