Trunk Lock

1qwik99

Anyone know how to remove the trunk lock? I have no key for the trunk and figure it to be easier to remove the lock and have it keyed, or replacing it with a NOS one that already has keys.

Thanks

I had to remove mine to swap it for a camera and found there is a U-clip that holds it in place...slides in from the side and puts tension on the lock barrel which is indexed in the hole so it won't turn. Wasn't easy to get to, tho, I think I had to remove the small (black plastic just pops out) shield first and find something to reach in and poke/grab the clip with (small needle-nose vicegrip?). Be sure to check the clip's orientation with a flashlight so you know which way to slide it free. Once loose, disconnecting the lever is trivial/obvious.

Lock

Thanks KMT. Do you know if it is possible to key the ignition key to the trunk lock so I only have one key for both?

It is not possible. The tumbler depth is too shallow on the trunk. If you look at the dimensions of the keys, they are different.

Thanks KMT. Do you know if it is possible to key the ignition key to the trunk lock so I only have one key for both?

Not really. The ignition key will not physically fit into the trunk lock cylinder. The only way this would be possible, would be to run an ignition key and matching lock cylinder out of a 97 T-bird or Cougar, since for that year only they went to one key for both. I'm also not 100% sure if the 97 key is the same shape as the earlier ignition key. If it is, then you can get a 97 lock cylinder and re-key it to your current ignition key. If it isn't, then you will have to replace the trunk lock cylinder, the ignition lock cylinder, and both the door lock cylinders with 97 parts.

I only carry the ignition key w/the remote now.

Before I removed the trunk lock, I already relied on a remote to pop the trunk, so I actually stopped carrying that key a long time ago. I also added a single gas lift cylinder to help it fully open.

Next trunk related mod will be a proximity/hands-free opener, where you just wave your foot.

Back