Speaker Grill Mounting

TBirdJKC

As I was driving home today my driver's side speaker grill fell off. It looks like all of the tabs broke. Does anyone have a good way to remount these. I tried 3M molding and trim adhesive, but it doesn't stick well to the cloth on the back of the grill.

Attachments

• _20161109_205013.jpg
    _20161109_205013.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 91
I don't mind removing the door panel. I just want to attach the grills solidly without damaging them

Might be the best way is to replace the grill with one that has all the tabs and be done.

I've had my door panels off so many times I contemplated using wing-nuts, and changed speakers etc., but I don't think I ever pulled the grilles. Sounds like someone didn't realize the best process was to leave them alone and pull the panel to access the speakers?

If you just want to attach it, I'd either use small self-tapping screws from behind, like where the tabs are, and/or use a nice epoxy, maybe carefully laid in from the back. Maybe the good 3M body shop tape used to hold side moulding on... I love that stuff, but it's not nearly as inexpensive as the simple stuff.

Good luck.

Ken

Last edited:
I'm the only one that's been in the door panels. And I know better than to pull on the grill to change out the speakers. Bought it from a 71 year old Ford mechanic. It still had factory everything when I bought it.

Some small pan head screws might be a good idea. I'll pull the panel and check it out tomorrow.

Back