PDA

View Full Version : 95 SC Blackbird Rebuilt T-boned need advice/comparables/for sale

rd3
11-15-2016, 09:59 PM
6641066411Hi everyone,

long story short, kid ran a red light and T-boned me on pass. side, ins. co. is trying to total loss it. Has a Prof. Rebuilt engine w/ <10,000 miles, new head, new radiator, new Pirelli's, new starter, water pump, alternator, battery, custom exhaust & tint. Over $8K in receipts.

Ins. Co is TRYING to use a 95 LX as their comparable for value, I have given them 2 comps I could find, of course way over that, w/out the rebuilt. Saw the ebay listing, but need comparables if anyone has any, mine was also a Blackbird, and had that as personalized plates for many yrs. 2nd owner, had for going on 15yrs. Black w/ grey leather/cloth, every option, flip sun/open moon. Everything works and would have driven it anywhere. No glass is broken.

Also, if I accept their value when adjusted, is anyone interested, I really do not want to total it whatsoever, and w/ the rebuild it, it all really makes me ill. It would be good if someone wants to fix the damage or use for engine/parts. Pics are before damage, paint has some sun fade now.

Any help, or serious interest is appreciated.

KMT
11-16-2016, 12:21 AM
I'm sure it's low if they're using an LX, but what value did they give?

My '90 was hit last month, and the adjuster didn't hesitate to use other SCs to compare. I suspect they would have totaled mine if they'd compared against an LX.

Feel your pain - good luck.

Ken

rd3
11-16-2016, 01:49 AM
$2,848 for the base, plus all extras on mine, and a whopping $865.00 for my $4K rebuilt engine...so a total of $4,793...

rd3
11-16-2016, 01:56 AM
They actually deducted -$45 off the LX base for my supercharged engine as well....like seriously really? and -$30 for mileage and say that avg mileage for my 21/22 yr. old car is 123,000...

KMT
11-16-2016, 11:00 AM
The adjuster set the value on my Anny at $4650. Condition excellent, miles below avg. He agreed I could get more if sold to the right party.

How would you feel about taking the $4793, buying it back and selling the parts for what, another $2k, at least? If you were able to get them to set the base higher, say another $2k, then you could let it go at $6793, or buy it back and maybe net another $2k on top of that...

I'd lean on them to raise the base in any case.

Ken

BirdofPrey97
11-16-2016, 12:56 PM
When you say adjuster is that their insurance company or yours? LX is not the same they need to read the VIN and see the R. Dont settle keep after them.

KMT
11-16-2016, 04:07 PM
When you say adjuster is that their insurance company or yours?

Me? ...their company/adjuster. She hit me. Farmers.

BirdofPrey97
11-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Me? ...their company/adjuster. She hit me. Farmers.

We don't talk to the other insurance company here. That's what our agent is for.

I would tell them to show me a Thunderbird SC. I'm IL I got lucky and the insurance company took my car to a junk yard across the state line. I told them to pay me what I wanted or I was reporting the car stolen. It's grand theft auto to take a car across state lines.

JonS
11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
$2,848 for the base, plus all extras on mine, and a whopping $865.00 for my $4K rebuilt engine...so a total of $4,793...

I'd get a lawyer ASAP. $200 consult, get a letter from him to them asking for all comps and depreciation basis.

but in all honesty, $4,800 ain't that bad. they don't pay for emotional damage

MadMikeyL
11-16-2016, 10:54 PM
$4800 is probably about right for a value on that car. I know you had a lot more into it, but in terms of what someone would be willing to pay for a 95SC with a rebuilt motor, 120K, and minor paint fade, based on cars that have sold on here recently, you got more than what most people on here would have paid for the car. I was in a similar situation a while back with a 90SC that I had just rebuilt the engine, and after some back and forth, I ended up settling for $5K plus keeping the car, so their initial offer is really not far off from where it will probably wind up. That being said, there may be some options to try to get some more. First off, insist that they only compare the car to other SCs. Explain to them that it isn't just a trim level, but the cars have different engines, suspensions, and interiors, as well as the fact that the SCs were a pretty limited production, and as such are generally kept better than the LX tbirds that people buy only as a beater car to get around. Second, review the valuation report thoroughly, and if any of the comparable vehicles are still for sale, go look at them. You want to know every chip and ding and stain on the comparable cars, so you can say "I looked at these 2 vehicles, and my car was in better shape than those because it did not have x, y, and z wrong with it, like the comparable cars do." Third, is find out the state regulations where you live for how auto claims can be settled. Insurance companies generally go to the comparable vehicles, since most states recognize that, but some states will also recognize NADA values, or red book values, which may or may not be higher than what they are offering you. Find out what your state's guidelines are, and if your state allows settlement off any type of book value, look that up to see if it is higher than what they are offering. If it is, insist on that settlement instead. Also find out what your state's laws are regarding salvage titles, and what it would cost to keep the vehicle. Most likely, the buy back price will be substantially less than what you can part it out for, so you may be able to recoup some extra money there. Also, if you aren't renting a car, many insurance companies will be willing to pay you a portion of what the rental would have cost as part of the settlement. It won't be much, but that might get you an extra $100 or so. Also, it is a little late for this in your case, but for anyone reading this in the future, if your car is hit, pay all the tow charges and have the car towed back to your house as soon as possible instead of letting it sit in the tow yard. Once it is home, before they come and look at it, detail the hell out of your car! I know it sounds stupid to be putting all that effort into something you know to be totaled, but when they value the car, they look at the condition of the rest of the car. If they roll up on a car that has faded paint, and dirt all over the carpets, and maybe some grease buildup in the engine bay, those things will negatively affect the valuation on the car. On the other hand, if they show up and all the paint is shiny, and the wheels are cleaned and the tires shined up, and the engine bay is detailed, and everything inside is spotless, all those things will help bump up the value of the car. An afternoon spent detailing the car in your driveway could be as much as $1000 difference in the value of your car, plus by having the car at your house, the adjuster will be meeting with you in person instead of having the climb through a dirty cramped tow yard perhaps dealing with less than pleasant staff at the tow yard, and when your adjuster is in a good mood and likes you, they will generally try to help you, whereas if they are in a bad mood and don't know you, they could care less.

rd3
11-16-2016, 11:19 PM
The adjuster set the value on my Anny at $4650. Condition excellent, miles below avg. He agreed I could get more if sold to the right party.

How would you feel about taking the $4793, buying it back and selling the parts for what, another $2k, at least? If you were able to get them to set the base higher, say another $2k, then you could let it go at $6793, or buy it back and maybe net another $2k on top of that...

I'd lean on them to raise the base in any case.

Ken

Hi, thanks Ken, this is what I am trying to do w/ the new comparables and pointing out they are using an LX as a base, which to me they are not comparable due to differences and rarity, and being last yr. made, which I emailed them last eve. Does anyone have the actual prod. #'s for 1995? I think it was 5,333 or under but can't remember now for sure.

Ken, who was the ins. co. you were working with? Since it was 100% the kids fault, is part of the issue w/ them wanting to not pay out/up, or pay to fix. Did you have a lot of damage or close to value they gave you?

I will keep and sell to someone, if their is someone needing parts or wanting to fix it. I just don't want to buy back if it is going to sit for an extended period, since the engine really can't go in anything else very easily.

It's just been a long process, and alot of feet dragging it seems, my attny has helped as well, and they are telling me to lean on them as well, and keep until it is resolved to my satisfaction, and they are work for the ins. co. in the end, and not working for me. Which is all true. It is just difficult when a person has put so much in, to have someone be totally at fault, and you still lose, that does not set well, after years of putting so much time an $ in, and looking at it like an investment long term, as it is/and will be a rare car, and IMO just continue to appreciate, not all cars de-value.

Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.

rd3
11-16-2016, 11:22 PM
I'd get a lawyer ASAP. $200 consult, get a letter from him to them asking for all comps and depreciation basis.

but in all honesty, $4,800 ain't that bad. they don't pay for emotional damage

Yeah, at this point it isn't the emotional, as much as what they are trying to value the car/rebuild at, basically they are saying that just the cost of eng rebuild cost me $3.22 a mile, not counting gas/ins/etc... which I don't know of anyone that would accept that to well.

TBirdJKC
11-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Hi, thanks Ken, this is what I am trying to do w/ the new comparables and pointing out they are using an LX as a base, which to me they are not comparable due to differences and rarity, and being last yr. made, which I emailed them last eve. Does anyone have the actual prod. #'s for 1995? I think it was 5,333 or under but can't remember now for sure.

I think it was a little over 2000 units auto and manual combined. If yours is a 5 speed that increases the rarity considerably.

Do I spot the rear of a 87-88 turbo coupe in one of your pics?

rd3
11-16-2016, 11:32 PM
$4800 is probably about right for a value on that car. I know you had a lot more into it, but in terms of what someone would be willing to pay for a 95SC with a rebuilt motor, 120K, and minor paint fade, based on cars that have sold on here recently, you got more than what most people on here would have paid for the car. I was in a similar situation a while back with a 90SC that I had just rebuilt the engine, and after some back and forth, I ended up settling for $5K plus keeping the car, so their initial offer is really not far off from where it will probably wind up. That being said, there may be some options to try to get some more. First off, insist that they only compare the car to other SCs. Explain to them that it isn't just a trim level, but the cars have different engines, suspensions, and interiors, as well as the fact that the SCs were a pretty limited production, and as such are generally kept better than the LX tbirds that people buy only as a beater car to get around. Second, review the valuation report thoroughly, and if any of the comparable vehicles are still for sale, go look at them. You want to know every chip and ding and stain on the comparable cars, so you can say "I looked at these 2 vehicles, and my car was in better shape than those because it did not have x, y, and z wrong with it, like the comparable cars do." Third, is find out the state regulations where you live for how auto claims can be settled. Insurance companies generally go to the comparable vehicles, since most states recognize that, but some states will also recognize NADA values, or red book values, which may or may not be higher than what they are offering you. Find out what your state's guidelines are, and if your state allows settlement off any type of book value, look that up to see if it is higher than what they are offering. If it is, insist on that settlement instead. Also find out what your state's laws are regarding salvage titles, and what it would cost to keep the vehicle. Most likely, the buy back price will be substantially less than what you can part it out for, so you may be able to recoup some extra money there. Also, if you aren't renting a car, many insurance companies will be willing to pay you a portion of what the rental would have cost as part of the settlement. It won't be much, but that might get you an extra $100 or so. Also, it is a little late for this in your case, but for anyone reading this in the future, if your car is hit, pay all the tow charges and have the car towed back to your house as soon as possible instead of letting it sit in the tow yard. Once it is home, before they come and look at it, detail the hell out of your car! I know it sounds stupid to be putting all that effort into something you know to be totaled, but when they value the car, they look at the condition of the rest of the car. If they roll up on a car that has faded paint, and dirt all over the carpets, and maybe some grease buildup in the engine bay, those things will negatively affect the valuation on the car. On the other hand, if they show up and all the paint is shiny, and the wheels are cleaned and the tires shined up, and the engine bay is detailed, and everything inside is spotless, all those things will help bump up the value of the car. An afternoon spent detailing the car in your driveway could be as much as $1000 difference in the value of your car, plus by having the car at your house, the adjuster will be meeting with you in person instead of having the climb through a dirty cramped tow yard perhaps dealing with less than pleasant staff at the tow yard, and when your adjuster is in a good mood and likes you, they will generally try to help you, whereas if they are in a bad mood and don't know you, they could care less.

Hi Mikey, agree on all that, and your getting $5K and keeping for a '90 is pretty good I would say. So far that offer is w/out me keeping/buying back or w/e. I sent pics before the accident last night as to show that as well, when you can't wash the car due to the accident, and they want pics a month later really sets bad, as you say, they can say & nit pick you to death, when you know it is not like that normally. If I didn't have so much into recently and had been looking at never selling/investment/classic it would be different, but it has always been more than just a car. Again thanks for everyone's help.

rd3
11-16-2016, 11:41 PM
I think it was a little over 2000 units auto and manual combined. If yours is a 5 speed that increases the rarity considerably.

Do I spot the rear of a 87-88 turbo coupe in one of your pics?

Ah, well if it was 2,000 then that is even more of a case for me. I just couldn't remember, but like I told them, there are only a few hundred left on the road/in the condition mine was in beforehand. Mine is an auto.\

And yes, I had 2 '87 Turbo coupes, one 5 spd/one auto, both black/red trim, and took me a yr to find my Supercoupe at the time, so had all 3 going then.

**And forgot had my roomies '96 White LX as well, so their were 4 birds total**

This was also my first accident, so having a kid total your car first time out, makes it difficult as well, as something like this never crossed my mind. I am cautious AF and am very careful/alert always esp. in intersections/etc.. I always slow down and watchout for the other guy, etc..and the guy that checks his car for door dings in parking lots/ parks at the end of the lot/etc...yup, everytime.

KMT
11-17-2016, 12:07 AM
Ken, who was the ins. co. you were working with?.
Farmers Insurance on the car that hit me...they told me they were 100% liable. My insurance isn't involved.

Since it was 100% the kids fault, is part of the issue w/ them wanting to not pay out/up, or pay to fix
Either way, it sounds like they just don't want to pay more than they can get away with.

Did you have a lot of damage or close to value they gave you?
What I understand is that when the repairs exceed 60% of the car's value, they typically will call it a total. So even tho I didn't have big damage, I was was afraid they'd lowball the value (LX range) and still hit the formula to total.

The adjuster set the value on my Anny at $4650 and repairs at $2250...just under the 60% to total. I wasn't looking forward to a branded title, etc., so that worked for me and I like to think the adjuster was happy to make me happy. I already had one cautiously high estimate at $2950, but that shop was a chain, and not willing to source out-of-channel parts for an older vehicle. Needed fender, liner, vacuum canister, clear corner, cornering light, header, minor repairs to the bumper and wheel.

I took the $2250 check and my car to a local custom body shop I'd already talked to, picked up the rental (2016 F150 4x4 Crew 4X4) and should get it back next week...close to a month, mostly finding parts.

fstcoup
11-20-2016, 03:13 PM
I have these,
89 5 speed 68,000 miles
Two 90 autos, one at 54,000 and the other 86,000 miles and a 5 speed with 123,000
95 auto 54,000 miles
All are insured with Hagerty because I have a collection. All are agreed upon value of $10,000 no deductible and the premium is less than a grand a year for all of them. Either they are repaired or they write a check for the $10,000.

KMT
11-20-2016, 05:45 PM
All are insured with Hagerty because I have a collection.

Nice - how many miles/yr do they let you put on each of them?

fstcoup
11-20-2016, 09:12 PM
No mileage limits, just not every day use such as using them for driving to work. They were hesitant to issue the policy being what the cars are, not really collector vehicles or worth that much but as a collection they did it.

I was in the same position as many of you are, the usual insurors wouldn't give me anything for them if involved in a crash even though I had a lot of money invested and receipts to prove it. If I had a crash no matter who was at fault I'd get a small percentage of my money back so I started shopping and went with Hagerty.

Longbowsvt
11-22-2016, 11:33 AM
Do you know if this Super Coupé would be available for purchase? I'm looking for a donor car for a swap.

rd3
12-03-2016, 11:52 PM
Do you know if this Super Coupé would be available for purchase? I'm looking for a donor car for a swap.

Not sure yet what I am going to do, but will consider all serious reasonable offers. Also, has a rebuilt AC compressor & new radiator, both pro shop done.

PM me if interested/offers. Thanks!