PDA

View Full Version : Creighton's 1989 SC restore:

Creighton
12-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Hi All,
Hope haven't broken any hard to find parts for the search function :-).
As to be expected many posts/threads are old.

Fuzzy history on what and when was replaced from PO. Best to start with a clean slate.

So new fluids first off:
Oil: Mobile #1 full syn 10w 30 and Motorcraft filter still good? Prefer any bit that shows be a FoMoCo labled part but not required.
Supercharger: BP 2380?
AOD: Mercon/Dextron III and slight overfill?
Rear diff/PS/Radiator??

Spokane, WA. so will get 100 F at times and darn cold.

Manuals:
Have ones attached as pics. Anything else suggested?

Life and such got in the way. First real car owned since spent 10 yrs. mending a 1968 Cougar XR-7 GT. Big mistake selling that one in 1999. Dad always had T-Birds, kinda a tribute thing getting this. Having fun now!!

Have fixed many minor bits thanks to this forum. Hope will be able to give back at some point.
Thanks All !
Creigton

KMT
12-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Supercharger: BP 2380?

No, supercharger oil from your local GM dealer (best price, I think) - see: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?103121-Supercharger-oil-change-question&highlight=supercharger+oil

Rear diff - 80W-90 - Leave it alone, or if it's low, add Ford (dealer) diff friction modifier. Add modifier first if drain/fill. Directions on bottle as I recall.

Radiator - Any modern coolant should do. Pre-mixed is handy. Might add some K-Seal just for grins.

AOD - DexIII/Mercon, but if doing a _complete_ flush and or rebuild, then go with Mercon V. Note some caution about doing a full change on a high mileage AOD.

Engine - Mobil 1 5-30 (see the sticker on the header panel) High Mileage (as opposed to 'extended')...has a bit of stop leak in it. Remind me...how many miles on the car now?

Filter - I like the K&N's w/the nut on the end...make it easier to get to on the SC, especially if the motor mounts have seen better days.

PS - Any modern brand...they should all be compatible.

Brake fluid - DOT-3 is fine.

Washer fluid - Pre-mixed is your friend...Dollar Store

Manuals - Looks like you've got it covered.

Creighton
12-02-2016, 03:30 AM
Thank you Sir !!
Mileage is shown at 122k. No reason to suspect otherwise.
Never knew and still don't when cars are considered "high mileage".
Pretty sure my 2001 Escape at 187k is. Have just tended to the bits over the years and still just as stout as V6 Escapes get:-).

Have never set a foot in a GM dealership. Will keep that 55 yr. trend going. Even if costs a few bucks. Again thank you for the great reply.
Creighton

KMT
12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Even if costs a few bucks.

If $50 vs. $20 is a few dollars, then be my guest ;)

Last time I went to the local GM dealer for this stuf, I parked my Anny front/center, right next to a yellow 'vette. Best way to let them know they're not the only ones running boost.

If miles on an SC meant nothing, we would be talking 'maintain' instead of 'restore' :rolleyes: But yes, the newer Fords are much better at handling miles - my 2002 Windstar has been dealer maintained and you'd never guess it has 148k on it...just about broken in.

Good luck w/your project.

Ken

JonS
12-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Thank you Sir !!
Mileage is shown at 122k. No reason to suspect otherwise.
Pretty sure my 2001 Escape at 187k is. Have just tended to the bits over the years and still just as stout as V6 Escapes get:-).

Have never set a foot in a GM dealership. Will keep that 55 yr. trend going. Even if costs a few bucks. Again thank you for the great reply.
Creighton

My 2001 Escape has never run better or stronger than now at 247,000 miles. I keep waiting for the old gal to die, but routine maintenance seems to work! (For sale BTW, $1,200 if anyone is interested)