PDA

View Full Version : Making the rear Ford passenger side emblem into a covered trunk lock access?

Creighton
12-06-2016, 12:28 AM
What I am pondering here is take the Ford oval and have it cover the trunk lock but swivel. 1961-63 rear trunk emblem for reference. Anyone done it? Tempted to use 61-63 emblems. The hood one I have is pitted and the flip rears are spendy. Of course didn't snag nice ones back in the day...
Thanks!
Creighton

KMT
12-06-2016, 01:14 AM
I went the other way and simplified - deleted my trunk lock cylinder and replaced it with a night vision flush fit camera. I open the trunk via the touch pad on the door, the release in the glove box or a button on my remote. A single gas lift raises it hand's-free. Haven't had to carry that extra key for some time now.

Creighton
12-06-2016, 02:22 AM
Thank you. I'm thinking to mount rearview IR camera. On the 3rd brake light. Seems it would be higher and see more of its surroundings?
Creighton

KMT
12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Depends on the camera.

If its one of the strict backup (meant for close to the vehicle) cameras with guidelines, those are better high than low, I find. I think if you put it at the center stop light, it wouldn't be able to see right behind the car for several feet due to having to look over the trunk lid.

I've had as many as three on the rear (two front). Two on the plate frame upper corners and one in the center/lock hole. I prefer not having any of the vehicle right below the camera, myself.

Best to get a camera and experiment to see what you like best.

Creighton
12-07-2016, 12:16 AM
Again thank you Sir. Hope all well in Salem, Spokane, WA here.
Creighton

KMT
12-07-2016, 12:51 AM
All's well down here, thanks, just getting colder - stay warm up there!

Creighton
12-07-2016, 03:10 AM
Gotta road trip to Moms in KS. Looks like sub zero's through most of the trip. Done it before. Stocking hat, good gloves just for fuel stops. Arrghhh.
Wish the SC was ready but many things need checking first. It will be the 09 Freestar.
Will be happy to get back to "mild" weather.
Creighton

Creighton
12-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Looks like the easy way to do this is:
1988 - 1991 Ford Crown Victoria Trunk Key Lock Cover EMBLEM E8AB-5443322
One on the way.
Creighton