Last one. Dash Nav/camera's F/R?

Creighton

Looks like VM could be moved and open up that panel for a better solution. Radio has already been replaced but no panel hacks. Will get a spare panel for "see what can be done". Fun stuff !!
Creighton

I installed a Jensen VM9512 - single DIN, pop-up 7" screen, GPS/DVD/5.1 surround/hands-free BT; 3 camera inputs, SD card slot front; USB input, etc. With over 40 wires out the back it turned into a major headache to get it all the way into the bucket. I had to cut away material from the rear of the bucket inside, but it didn't gain much. Left the VMM alone (find it vey handy). There might not be as much room there as you think...

In the end, for me the Jensen was worth all the trouble as I gained radio, hands-free phone, camera(s) display and GPS without having warts hung on the dash. Key off and it all retracts into the headunit. Phone, GPS voice nav, radio audio, all still works when retracted, as well.

In theory, you could leave the stock radio and make similar gains using a front/rear windshield mounted dash cam up by the mirror & leverage a smartphone w/hard-wired~FM transmit hand's free bluetooth (calls and and music) and a HUD display for nav. Sit your phone on the HUD, auto connect via BT to the head unit and go.

Attachments

• JensenIndash08.jpg
    JensenIndash08.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thank you for the excellent write-up. That is a better solution than moving things around to make room for the screen. Darn shame that the VM9512 is no longer available. Will post when find something.
Creighton

Thank you for the excellent write-up. That is a better solution than moving things around to make room for the screen. Darn shame that the VM9512 is no longer available. Will post when find something.
Creighton

You can buy the current model, but is has a few less features. No PIP video, one less camera input, swapped for HDMI, and while the screen tilts, it doesn't articulate left/right. Still a nice unit - my brother put one in his 2004 'disco.

The VM9512s used be available used, but they dried up about a year ago, I think. No supply...guess demand grabbed them all up. Mine needed a new screen/tilt/retract mechanism, but I found a guy to put one in for a fair price. I'll hold onto it until it flat out dies.

I'm sure you can find something (don't forget harness adapter - two if you bypass the factory sub amp)...just be aware of the tight space behind. Good info in the EVTM and here: http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/RadioRelatedPages.htm - and of course SCCOA search.

Ken

Back