Problem?

Matt_aka_Dale

SCCoA Member
After having the birdy in the shop, I noticed some freeplay in the universal joint yoke out of the transmission. It's noticeable movement up, down, and side to side. Plus the seal is leaking on the trans.

Big issue or minor fix?

When chasing an 'at speed vibration', I replaced wheel bearings, had the tires rebalanced etc. so I kept looking. I noticed the same thing on my AOD...seemed to be too much play in the output bushing. Got set up with a shop where they know and own SCs, and took it in.

They had a new output bushing/seal kit ready to go. When I pointed out the same movement, they said it was normal unless the seal was wasted/leaking, took a closer look on their own, etc. No repairs made. Vibration turned out to be a tire wear on the rear and went away with a new set. No issue since.

Since your's is leaking, it might be time for a new output bushing and seal.

Okay. Easy enough. Just don't want to get in over my head.

If you're curious - a quick summary (trans still in car): driveshaft gets unbolted at the rear, tank may or may not be required to drop a bit, driveshaft is slipped out the trans rear and scooted back while catch pan corrals fluid.

Trans is supported to remove the tailshaft housing (and crossmember if you're also doing side bushings, it's in your way, etc.). Old bushing and seal come out, old flange gasket surfaces cleaned, new bushing, seal and gasket installed, everything is re-assembled and fluid topped off.

45.jpg

Good luck.

Ken

Back