PDA

View Full Version : 89 SC extreme weather test could have gone better.

Creighton
12-11-2016, 06:01 AM
So 28 degrees and 4" of snow on the ground here in Spokane. My SVT Cobra buddy warned SC/IR not good on anything but dry pavement. Correct he was.
But had to see for myself. Sure enough, didn't do anything crazy but off the road 2 blocks from the house. Got backed out of that Wipers won't turn off various dash lights on that weren't on before are now. A pissed off car. Lot's of dirty connector issues that have not been dealt with. Did get to enjoy the whine for a bit, love that sound. Iginition Switch looks original. Searching for a replacement.
Pulled the batt cables and will sort the issues on a warmer day :-).
Creighton

bowez
12-11-2016, 10:31 AM
SC and IRS not an issue with my car. Thanks to the Trac-Loc actually performs better than any of my other cars (5.0 MN-12 and 94 GM), even with being lowered 1.5". Thing to note is to keep it under 2500 RPM.

good to doo
12-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Well I,ve driven my sc in the snow many times. Here on the west coast we get snow also. I prepare by putting my Winter tires on first. 4 bridgestone blizzacs and these cars are unstoppable. Also if you have never driven a rwd in the snow then yes all the rear end sliding will be a whole new learning curve. I have never owned a Fwd vehical in my life.

KMT
12-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Plenty of cars have IRS, so I don't see that as a problem in this example. I think it's all about the tires (and how the SC is all about torque), just remember that when the trac-lok locks up the car will go where the nose is pointed, not the front wheels. If the diff isn't locking up, that's another issue. If you have to drive your SC in snow/ice, best to have another set of wheels/tires, I think.

I keep my Anny parked when the weather turns really bad...not so much worried about snow as I am ice - and other drivers. Working ABS is your friend yet again. My 2002 Windstar w/all-weather tires gets winter duty when things get dicey.

Creighton
12-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all of the great replies. Out again today. Much better results. Yep, the last RWD car i had with any power was a 68 Cougar XR-7 GT. 35yrs. ago this old dog had to recall some skills. The tip about nose direction as opposed to wheels is spot on.
Creighton

plethaus
12-12-2016, 01:49 AM
What kind of tires are on your SC? When it comes to snow driving, tires are literally 99% of the equation. Seems like 19/20 people assume that cheap all-seasons are all you need.

I have driven a couple different LT1 F-bodies in all sorts of winter conditions from ice to blizzards and with proper winter tires on them, they were some of the easiest, most predictable cars to handle in the snow that I've ever driven.

BirdofPrey97
12-12-2016, 10:09 AM
The elevation, asphalt roads and tires will be the main contributes to the ditch affect. Glad its out and the ignition switch will probably fix most of the wiper and signal issues.

Creighton
12-14-2016, 04:16 AM
Thanks All !!
Spent quite a bit time typing a proper reply. It's gone. But it did not post.
In no mood to retype.

Hope all have happy holidays and hope be able to share information at some later date.
Pretty busy with reading manuals, thread searches, finding parts.
Disappointed,
Creighton