Exhaust tick

Matt_aka_Dale

SCCoA Member
After going through old exhaust tick posts, I have read that the main cause can be at the 'ball and flare' union. I've put hi-temp RTV on it before to try and seal it, but to no avail. I also read that you can use Great Stuff to seal it. It also sounds like it is coming from the catalytic converters. No rattles when you tap them and couldn't feel a leak.

Would regular Great Stuff work or is there a hi-temp version?

I apply a moderate to thin coat of exhaust "cast" sealer/repair to the cone side b4 fitting. Comes in a 12 oz (?) tube, white with red, yellow and black label. Marketed for redneck exhaust repair, but is a pretty good sealer for use at slip fits and ball and cones. I have always had pretty good luck with the ball and cone fittings, never many problems with leaks. I was pretty suprized to see how many here REALLY dislike them. As often as I seem to have to take my junk apart :rolleyes: I almost have to have joints that WILL come apart, and the adjustability is good to have too.

Adam

PS. It's also pretty critical to clean up the fitting surfaces of old sealer ect. before assy.

If the sealer doesn't work, I'd suggest making some time to visit the local exhaust shop. The weld around the ball collector on my headers broke loose, I had it welded up and it has been good to go.

I'm thinking that the sound I'm hearing isn't an exhaust leak. It is not effecting the drivability, just an interesting noise. I think it's just because of the cam it's got.

Back