PDA

View Full Version : power steering delete made simple... and it looke good..

pro street rich
01-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Well I have been working on this idea of going without power steering and I have found something that is good... How about a unit that bolts in and everything works... Now add to that it is CHROME is it will look good as well... Cost looks to be $300 plus shipping... and they are in stock... I got one coming and as soon as it is here I will post it for all to see.....Rich

pro street rich
01-24-2017, 06:00 PM
just got a call that the new rack is here. I will get some pic's taken and posted of it.. Can't wait to see how good this chrome toy looks like....Rich

NASTY V6
01-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Picture of the rack

pro street rich
01-24-2017, 11:09 PM
so now I got to get it into the car. I will work on it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Hope this is a good fit as the builder said.. If so this might be the new way to go with this change over....Rich

pro street rich
02-01-2017, 05:41 PM
well after doing my homework and finding all the correct stuff this is a done deal.. Total cost for parts is under $400 for the swap.. the rack was $325 with shipping, the "U" joint was $53.00 local pick up. and the double "D" shaft was just $21.00. The rack can use stock tie rod ends so there is no cost there. This rack is 3 3/4 turns lock to lock so that will not be bad driving as long as you are moving...lol. My son will be posting the pic's when he gets home tonight so watch for them. With the chrome as well as the price you get to save weight as well as look good..... how can you go wrong????...Rich

fastsc92
02-01-2017, 06:05 PM
what's the source? Give us some details!:D

89XR7TD
02-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Nice!!!!

Been wanting to do this soon, but need to get the car running first!!!

pro street rich
02-01-2017, 06:44 PM
what's the source? Give us some details!:D

the rack comes from a place in Chicago called Kaufman Products Inc. 773-489-7255... the "U" joint comes from the local race car place around here.. the double "D" stock came from Jegs.. Now this is what I did.. Now if you want you can get both the "U" joint as well as the stock from Jegs, but I found it a lot better to get it local as it was cheaper and it is good stuff.
Now when you order the rack tell them you heard about it from me and that will help so he will send it out to you rather than thru a local parts store... that saves you money and time.Just ask for a manual rack for a t-bird... they have them in stock as well..
Let me know if anyone has trouble and I will call the owner for you....Rich

driller
02-01-2017, 09:10 PM
From what I know the Mark VIII steering is the same as the MN12 T-bird, so would it be reasonable to assume this would also work on the FN10 Lincoln? :cool:

pro street rich
02-01-2017, 09:31 PM
From what I know the Mark VIII steering is the same as the MN12 T-bird, so would it be reasonable to assume this would also work on the FN10 Lincoln? :cool:

The only thing I know is that it works on a t-bird. I would say look to see if the stock racks carry the same part number.. If they do then you are good to go. I could also say try a bird rack and see if it fits in your car?? I know I got a couple of good used ones here....Rich

NASTY V6
02-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Pictures

20psiofevil
02-01-2017, 09:49 PM
I've heard looping the lines is not that bad depending on what size tire you run. I was going to give this a try.

pro street rich
02-01-2017, 10:12 PM
I've heard looping the lines is not that bad depending on what size tire you run. I was going to give this a try.

I was not happy with how it worked.:eek: This is something that should work just like if it was done from Ford.:)...I hope. This rack is also less weight then the stock stuff.. Rich:D

TBirdJKC
02-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Looks awesome Rich!

I would not loop the line. I've broken more than one rack doing that.

fastsc92
02-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Do you know what the ratio is?

pro street rich
02-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Do you know what the ratio is?

The ratio is 3 3/4 turn to turn.. This will be fine at the track, but on the street with fat tires it might be more like " armstrong" steering.... But I drive 427 Fords with manual steering all summer and I can park them ok, so I am not worried..:cool::D...Rich p.s. and with 24" arms who cares anyways....lol:eek:

fastsc92
02-02-2017, 02:06 PM
The ratio is 3 3/4 turn to turn.. This will be fine at the track, but on the street with fat tires it might be more like " armstrong" steering.... But I drive 427 Fords with manual steering all summer and I can park them ok, so I am not worried..:cool::D...Rich p.s. and with 24" arms who cares anyways....lol:eek:

so somewhere between 18:1 - 20:1? I'll have to contact these guys and get one on order.

pro street rich
02-02-2017, 03:26 PM
so somewhere between 18:1 - 20:1? I'll have to contact these guys and get one on order.

remember to tell them where you are from and how you know about it. that should help you and if you need something just ask...Rich

pro street rich
02-02-2017, 03:32 PM
I just called them and gave them a heads up on what you guys are talking about. She put the part number on her board so if you call in they will be able to get the right rack the first time for every one.. They are very easy to work with as well as fast on getting the orders out... Good luck to anyone who is going to make the change....Rich

20psiofevil
02-02-2017, 07:15 PM
The rack being lighter is small compared to the weight you can save from not having a pump and bracket.

pro street rich
02-02-2017, 07:39 PM
The rack being lighter is small compared to the weight you can save from not having a pump and bracket.

I think that the pump,hardware,and rack is like 40 lbs less on the front end of these cars....Rich

aroot1
02-02-2017, 07:58 PM

True, BUT....Every 100# is worth 1/10 second in 1/4 mi...... Can't find a place to remove 100#s? Find 100 places to remove 1....;)

Especially on the front end and/or unsprung weight

Adam

OxmanWI
02-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Hey Rich this is interesting. Looks great with the chrome. Might have to think about doing this. What was the part numbers on the U joint and double d shaft?

pro street rich
02-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Hey Rich this is interesting. Looks great with the chrome. Might have to think about doing this. What was the part numbers on the U joint and double d shaft?

I got the joint from Behling's race car store in butler, and I have some extra double "D" shaft that I can hook you up with. I had to buy 24" to get my chunk that I used....Let me know....Rich

ScrapSC
05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Once we delete the power steering what would the belt wrap look like? With AC delete it would definitely be a shorter belt. So, crank pulley over and around the jackshaft, under and up the side of the water pump, over top the tensioner and the alternator and back down to the crank...

Quik95SC
05-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Once we delete the power steering what would the belt wrap look like? With AC delete it would definitely be a shorter belt. So, crank pulley over and around the jackshaft, under and up the side of the water pump, over top the tensioner and the alternator and back down to the crank...

Anthony,
I think mine is like a 51" belt now with A/C delete and manual steering rack combo. It was something like an 89.7" belt originally.

Remember the crank drives the jackshaft separately still, so that belt stays the same as it was.

I used a tensioner from a Mustang with a grooved pulley that puts tension on the new shorter belt from the opposite direction it used to go (hence the grooved pulley)

Now the only thing the main drive belt is running is the water pump and alternator via the crank pulley.

Will have to look up part # I bought when I get home to let you know what I used.

Smitty

driller
05-14-2017, 10:32 PM
I had multiple leaks with the power steering and pulled the trigger on this a while ago for my '93 Lincoln Mark VIII. :D

The tie rod ends needed to be shortened so as to make room for the jam nuts.

Of course the steering joint needed changed to accommodate the smaller steering shaft.

The short belt solution was a 6 rib 48" belt with a ribbed tensioner pulley from a V6 Mustang.

I have a 6 rib billet aluminum 70mm diameter pulley that will fit in place of the plastic Mustang piece but it needs some machine work on the backside and a step bushing to fit. This will do for now. :rolleyes:

DrFishbone
05-15-2017, 12:45 PM
I've sure liked the idea of replacing the power steering in my SC, but am too chicken since I street drive it mostly. -40lbs would be nice too!!! :eek:

pro street rich
05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
I've sure liked the idea of replacing the power steering in my SC, but am too chicken since I street drive it mostly. -40lbs would be nice too!!! :eek:

Just go for it... once the car is moving it is fine. Sure you got to work on parking if you are on the street, but what the heck... just think of the big arms you will have and all the girls you will get...lol..... I drove a manual steering car all weekend and I am still able to type today......:eek:Rich

DrFishbone
05-16-2017, 06:33 AM
Just go for it... once the car is moving it is fine. Sure you got to work on parking if you are on the street, but what the heck... just think of the big arms you will have and all the girls you will get...lol..... I drove a manual steering car all weekend and I am still able to type today......:eek:Rich

I've got enough girls already, Rich! ;)

I see chiropractor visits...glass half empty. lol

ScrapSC
08-23-2017, 09:27 AM
How are the manual racks doing??? I am going to order my stuff in the next couple of days. Car wont be ready for shootout anyway so I am going to go ahead and do this while its in the air... Is it a Flaming River?? or ????

pro street rich
08-23-2017, 10:00 AM
How are the manual racks doing??? I am going to order my stuff in the next couple of days. Car wont be ready for shootout anyway so I am going to go ahead and do this while its in the air... Is it a Flaming River?? or ????

I got two different cars with this in them. they both were simple to put in and I don't have any issues driving them on the street.. How about the rest of you that went this way?? simple, easy, and it works..... what more can you ask for on a S.C. something that you CAN work on AND something that REALLY works.....Rich

driller
08-24-2017, 08:53 PM
No complaints here. Even my DIY toe-in alignment tracks true and straight. ;)

OxmanWI
08-25-2017, 12:05 AM
So my only issue with my rack was the inner rods were longer than stock. I had to cut a inch off my outer tie rods and weld back together to work. Still waiting on a email tune for my car, yet to start up and drive on the street.

Quik95SC
08-25-2017, 02:24 PM
No issues here either! Even with 255 tires on the front it isn't very hard to steer standing still. Like Rich said, rather easy once you start moving at all. With skinnys on it turns sitting still like it was power.

No regrets at all.

Oh I did swap out tie rod ends from a dodge caravan for a perfect fit.

Ira R.
08-25-2017, 05:01 PM
No complaints here. Even my DIY toe-in alignment tracks true and straight. ;)

I'm sorry, but you just have to love this!! The ultimate in let's just git'r done. Way to go JP.