PDA

View Full Version : oil pan options

Bronco SC
01-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Okay, I haven't been on here for a while but that's because I got the SC motor in my '71 Bronco and have been driving it whenever the weather allows. It runs like a scalded dog and I think if was an excellent swap for an early Bronco. Now I'm wanting to take it off road a little but have an issue with oil pan clearance, only about 2 1/2" to the front differential. Is there a steel oil pan that would fit the SC motor that I could section out to get more clearance? Thanks, Dennis

XR7 Dave
01-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Assuming you are referring to the front part of the pan, you don't have any clearance to remove material as the main caps are pretty much against the bottom of the pan. If it's the more rearward part you talking about, be aware that the pickup tube is in there as well. I don't think you can really remove anything much from the pan. But to your original question, no steel pans were made for this motor specifically. An early 3.8L pan could be made to fit if you can find one but they are a bit different around the timing cover and the pickup is different but I know you can buy those new still. Cutting and welding the aluminum pan if necessary isn't difficult though for anyone with access to a TIG welder.

Bronco SC
01-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Dave, Thanks for the insight. It's actually the front left corner of the sump that is close. I guess i'll find someone that can section it out, invert and tig weld back together.