PDA

View Full Version : Help with headlight conversion

Dbarnhill
01-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of swapping my 94's front end over to an early model. I'm almost done, but I need to get the headlights wired over to the early style and I have no clue where to start

MadMikeyL
01-30-2017, 08:21 PM
You will have one 3-wire connector for each headlight in your existing harness, and this will need to be split out into 2 2-wire connectors. The black wire is ground, and will be common to both lights. There should also be a red wire for low beams, and a green wire for high beams. Cut the existing connector off, and run the green wire to the connector for the high beam bulb. Run the red wire to the connector for the low beam bulb, and tie both of the other wires from each connector together, and run it to the black wire. If you want to improve your lighting a bit, you can also run a wire from the high beam power wire (green) through a diode, and to the low beam power wire. This will make both the high and low beams come on when you hit the high beams.

Dbarnhill
01-30-2017, 08:59 PM
tie both of the other wires from each connector together, and run it to the black wire.

Thanks man! That simplifies things for me a lot. I lost you at that part though. 3 wires, green high, red low, black ground. But once the red and green wires are in their corresponding connectors, which wires am I supposed to tie together and run to the ground?

RalphP
01-31-2017, 01:06 AM
Thanks man! That simplifies things for me a lot. I lost you at that part though. 3 wires, green high, red low, black ground. But once the red and green wires are in their corresponding connectors, which wires am I supposed to tie together and run to the ground?

Umm ... the black ones.

BTW - What you might want to do, is look for a "9007 HID conversion relay harness". Also, Innovative has conversion harnesses for what you're doing ... http://innovativewiring.com/?page_id=4483 and about 3/4 of the way down or so.

RwP

Dbarnhill
01-31-2017, 01:37 AM
Thanks Ralph! I actually would like to do HIDs. Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XKK74Y2/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3J1QYZ8A8CE5SQK5TVXX

RalphP
01-31-2017, 10:37 AM
It doesn't show which connectors it has, so I can't say yea or nay.

But do EVERYONE on the road a favor - don't do HIDs until you can properly retrofit a projector into the headlights.

In the meantime, consider HIRs - http://hirheadlights.com/ has the technical info, and it's easy to Google for 9011 and 9012 bulbs. With clean, non-yellowed non-fogged lenses and a 12ga relay harness, you'll be VERY pleased with how well they work.

But DO NOT PNP HIDS OR LEDS.

Sure, there's a lot of light out there.

Might as well turn on your dome light, though. Makes it bright, but you can't see crap due to the near field light causing far field blindness; same with HIDs and LEDs when run as a Plug N Play conversion in a halogen headlight.

If you feel like you absolutely MUST ignore this, then with the Gen1 lights, you can HID the high beams, halogen the low beams, and do the 4-light mod also, so you don't go blind as the HIDs come up to temp.

(This also allows you to dip the lights so you don't blind Cletus or Aunt Martha when you're going north and they're going south ... And you know Cletus. That International Harvester pickup he's driving should have been totaled four deer ago!)

RwP

aroot1
01-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Ralph, the site linked to no longer is selling, but has great info, and links to candlepower.com who still shows them. I was talking to a buddy about setting up the system for four light operation just the other day. I tried a couple searches for the mentioned 4-light mod and could find nothing? What did you do, or is there a write-up out there for this?
Thanks
Adam

RalphP
01-31-2017, 09:35 PM
Ralph, the site linked to no longer is selling, but has great info, and links to candlepower.com who still shows them. I was talking to a buddy about setting up the system for four light operation just the other day. I tried a couple searches for the mentioned 4-light mod and could find nothing? What did you do, or is there a write-up out there for this?
Thanks
Adam

Which is why I mentioned Googling for 9011/9012 bulbs ... that's just the info on them.

4 light mod .. here's a PDF of how I did it for my 2000 Malibu which used 9005/9006 bulbs also. Also one of the relay harness I also built. You'll need to convert to a 9007 for the car end to use it.

RwP

sc-r
03-05-2017, 11:56 PM
I left you message in your post about the stuff you are selling ,i left you my info. might want to check it out

Dbarnhill
03-06-2017, 07:07 AM
This isn't a for sale thread, but the parts are sold. I don't make it on here all that often so I haven't updated it yet. Thanks

sc-r
03-06-2017, 12:26 PM
O oky well damn to late, was so interested in them. Thanks any ways for letting me know they are sold.
If you seen any one else selling same thing send them my way pls, Have good day...Joe..