Multiple issues

94-sc

I have some engine issues going on. The engine was sputtering and someone thought it would be a good idea to rev the engine basically beyond the red-line and now the engine vibrates terribly and will not idle. There is also a smell of fuel in the exhaust when the engine is running. I was thinking that perhaps the head-gasket blew with the high rev and before I go down that road I wanted to see if anyone had any input of where I should begin. I performed the KOER test and got the following codes:

116 O, R Engine coolant temperature higher or lower than expected
126 C Cylinder identification circuit failure
129 R Insufficient Mass Air Flow (MAF) change during dynamic response test
167 R Throttle Position sensor fault during dynamic response test
224 C Erratic IDM input to processor
225 R Knock sensor fault during dynamic response test
536 R, C Brake On/Off (BOO) circuit not activated during KOER
563 O (Cars ONLY): High Speed Electro Drive Fan circuit fault
632 R Overdrive Transmission Cancel Switch/ no action during self engine run test

Any input on these items is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most of those codes could be from low volts/damaged harness/sensors and/or the result of other primary codes and/or improper testing, where the engine temp code could mean the engine wasn't warmed up properly, as an example. 116, 129, 167, 225, 536 632 all could just be from an improper test process.

That leaves 126, 224 and 563.

126 on the SC means Manifold Absolute/Baro Pressure sensor out of range, which is another that might mean improper test. That leaves 224 and 563.

I don't think there is a 224 code for the SC, so we're down to 563 high speed fan fail. A fan failure could lead to an overheat that could lead to head gaskets failed, etc. Ignoring the self-inflicked kick in the throttle for now, might need more info on the original sputtering issue...

If you can get the engine running and up to temp, you might test again, but not if the fan isn't working on high and there is already significant damage/signs of blown head gasket(s).

Did it overheat and puke into the expansion tank? Was there white smoke out the exhaust? Is there white milkshake on the dip stick?

Last edited:
Check your balancer. I had crappy rubber floormats in my car and accidentally wedged the pedal down once. The brief bounce off of the rev limiter before I killed the ignition, finished off what I suspect was a balancer already on borrowed time. I could hear the outer ring still spinning and ringing like a bell after I shut it down. It took the crank position sensor out with it.

That could cause the horrible vibration as well as your cylinder ID circuit failure code. As for most of your others, as Ken said, you most likely didn't have the car up to temp, did not blip the throttle when prompted, and didn't hit the O/D off button on the shifter when prompted.

Last edited:
Sound like a number of steps weren't done during test. Step on the brake, turn the wheel, and goose the throttle to start the dynamic balance test. Read up on the procedure for KOER. Until then, KOEO might give you some leads.

Back