Half Shaft Boot and Grease?

dthompson

I had an old half shaft laying in the garage (as a spare), that previously had puked grease on the subframe above the inner CV joint. I decided I would check it out tonight. I did not see a tear in the boot, and it didnt look like it had leaked from where the boot was secured. It looked like it was leaking from behind where the boot was attached.

LEAK.jpg

I cant tell if it was leaking from there or if the grease is shot and just so thin that it has seeped out. Does this grease look normal?

half shaft grease.jpg

I have never taken one of these apart before so I have no reference point on what it should look like. It doesn't smell bad (which kind of surprised me), but i sort of expected it to be thicker and maybe less muck colored. I did a quick search and did not find any useful information.

I figured I would replace the boot and repack the joint with grease. I found the grease part number in the manual e2fz-19590-a, but nothing came up for it when i searched the forum. I see some of the boots come with grease packets... Im guessing most of the CV joint grease is the same? What is recommended?

Thanks,
Derek

I don't suppose there is any chance that joint sat under water for any length of time?

I don't think it looks normal...

Only ten?! Might have been wet before you sat it aside...

Unless you're hard up for a replacement, I'd quietly and promptly put it back where I found it...it belongs to the barn people now.

Otherwise, clean, inspect for rust, re-lube, reboot and live large.

Back