PDA

View Full Version : DIS relocate.

Creighton
02-16-2017, 01:56 AM
From searches found this has been pondered but pics don't seem to have survived over the years.

Moving forward, discovered the wiring on my 89 has been hacked too a point where car is now "Out of Service".

DIS wiring loom will require complete rebuild. So no biggie to extend. Have idea's but welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!
Creighton

sam jones
02-16-2017, 06:25 AM
Good morning

There are many options available for your current DIS harness situation. You can contact:

- Thunderbird SC shop.

- SuperCoupe Performance.

- Spinning Wheels which provides a rebuilding service.

- SCCoA forums: Wanted and Parts for sale sections.

Good Luck.

TBirdJKC
02-16-2017, 10:57 AM
I would leave the DIS module in its factory location. That sucker gets HOT, and it uses the A/C compressor bracket as a big aluminum heatsink. That's why there's heatsink compound under the unit. I'm not saying its impossible to move, but just be aware you need a solution for cooling it.

KMT
02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
The accy. bracket/pedestal, that the DIS sits on, runs at engine avg. temp in that location - 175 is what my car shows at that point.

So while that location risks heat from the bracket, the DIS is sitting up in the active cooler airflow coming in thru the nose, so...a thermal image from my ’90 Anny shows the DIS is generally cooler than the pedestal, not hotter. See http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?130244-Which-DIS-unit&p=1036164#post1036164 - I did similar tests with the DIS lifted off the pedestal and saw it display max 135 on it's own. Nothing dramatic..for reference, pain threshold is 140.

Previous discussion here:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?130244-Which-DIS-unit&highlight=thermal+image

Conclusion then was to leave it where it is. I agree.

As for that harness, yes, it is critical, but it might be a 'biggie' to extend... if you DIY, be sure to maintain the factory shielding to protect from EMI as well as original ground path resistance. I have refurb'd harnesses for '90 and '92 (?), but they may be different from your '89 - the large connector* that sits at the front/pass. side of the supercharger, going back to the body harness tends to vary in pin count, it seems. I would source a replacement rather than DIY...

*Note in your first image, that large connector/harness (and the white shielded ground connector) is just hanging out near the DIS...do you still have the metal bracket at the top/pass. side of the supercharger for those? I'd want that wiring away from the DIS in any case.

Pics in this thread demonstrate OEM harness routing:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?109252-Pic-of-my-engine-bay&highlight=engine+bay

Creighton
02-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Thanks all,
Left where is, it will be.
Nice job on the thermals had missed that thread.

Moved harness around some to see what other mickey mouse is going on. Vac line with a bolt in it for a start. Looks to be from/to the fender well charcoal canister. Bedtime reading will be the EVATSM.

Brackets appear gone for the ground connectors. Went too pull the harness and the one by the DIS fell apart. Coil pack one not much better. Have all connectors loose except the lower one. Frostbite was setting in, had to quit. At least 50 degree weather can't get here soon enough.

Creighton