Problems with pinching Polyurethane differential nose bushings?

HwyStar

Have anyone had this problem? I definitely did not put these in this way! I'm going to swap the bushings around, but is there a solution to this? Or, should I use a different bushing?

Are the blues any harder/softer than the reds, do we know?

I used reds on mine, but I haven't inspected since installed. Your fail looks like what happens to the OEM material, maybe..,

How many miles/years on them? Any wear on the bolt/bushing?

Not sure about miles since the speedo is off. But, maybe 10k miles. Mostly at the track. I don't drive the car often. Iam cutting high 1.7 to low 1.8s in the 60 with slicks. I got to wondering just where all that torque goes and decided to take a look while I had everything out. Does the diff brace that SCP sell help with this?

I also checked the angles on the drive shaft. My pinion angle is -4* and 0* at the trans. I think I can get -2* at the pinion using a couple of washers on the nose of the diff and I'm assuming I would end up with that at the output shaft....

Is that the 2 or 3-piece bushing kit? I had serious problems with the three-piece top/inner/bottom design that Steeda sells. I've not had any problems with the two-piece design other companies use.

>Iam cutting high 1.7 to low 1.8s in the 60 with slicks.

In that case, I'd look at them as wear items and swap them out more often (might want to also use fresh hardware)...consider it a cost of doing business - just remember that energy has to go somewhere, so a bit of give right there might be your friend. I don't think a brace would hurt, tho ;)

KMT is right. I would consider these a wear item. Poly is too stiff actually for this application. OE rubber might be better, but if you want a diff brace I happen to have one for sale. ;) I might have some NOS Ford bushings also...

I'll take you up on that Dave. I remember going through these bushings on my Mark VIII now that I think of it. Was amazing. Put them in, and a few months later(mostly at the track) they would be compressed. Not pinched like this. But, I had never seen rubber get compressed like that. The Lincoln was cutting 1.60-1.65 60s. Man that car was fun! I remember having to lean forward to look over the dash as I was going down the track that car would squat so hard.

Yeah, I've mashed several sets too. :/

I had put some old oem bushings on there for awhile but found a set of new red poly bushings last fall..I wouldn't be too surprised if they were mashed after just a few months too.

Back