PDA

View Full Version : 89 overhead seat track restore.

Creighton
03-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Both ends of the sensors need to be addressed (attached photo). Any suggestions?
Best if any lube to use for the belt movement belt and guide track?
Have searched previous posts. Looking at the assembly don't want any lube that will retain dust and gum up later.
I'm leaning towards just darn clean tracks.
Thanks for any input.
Creighton

TbirdSCFan
03-03-2017, 02:47 AM
I've used lithium grease on the overhead channel and on the belt, but I'd recommend not using it on the belt because cold weather will cause it to thicken up. I'd try graphite or a lite oil for the belt or perhaps nothing at all. Silicon spray doesn't seem to last long. I don't know whats best to use for the channel. Perhaps a really clean channel might be the way to go as well.

KMT
03-03-2017, 11:21 AM
In my experience, those tracks need some sort of lube.

I use spray silicone, usually twice a year down here. Just on the section from the shoulder back/down, then I cycle the mechanism to spread out over the window.

If you're having chronic issues, there may be more to the problem than just dry or gummed up tracks, such as wear or damage. Try hitting the slides with WD-40 to rinse/bathe/flush good one time, then silicone spray thereafter.

Same process with the seat tracks, where the issue when they get gummed up makes it seem like the motor has failed.

davec73
03-03-2017, 06:15 PM
I have a set of these that came out of my 92 if you want them lmk