A weird issue

wingzeroac195

SCCoA Member
OK, need the experts here. 2 days ago I put gas in the Thunderbird and drove it around, the next day the car started fine, but as soon I left the house and went from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, the car lost power and stalled. tried to start it and no luck, can hear the pump but nothing, after 10 min sitting, I tried and the car started, but it develop a very loud hesitation (like an old engine sound) drove it to my friends house 2.5Miles away and everytime I accelerate it will lack of power (like driving and you press the brake hard, no power either) and some fuel smell coming from where the fuel filter is (2 weeks ago I replaced it), after checking all wires, replacing the fuel filter again, the fuel pressure regulator, the DIS, the ignition coil, the Map and MAF sensor, the cam position sensor, O2 sensors, put some seam foam in the gas (thought it may be bad gas), still have the hesitation and sounds like a old car but very little now when I drive and specially when I accelerate(you have to sit inside to hear it) but the engine shaking still there ( is not that crazy shaking but noticeable). I disconnected the IAC and the TPS while running and there was not changes in the engine idle, also the MAP(the one by the air filter) and the MAF and no changes. NO CEL at all. today I change the spark plugs, they were fine. I also replace the IRCM and nothing. The car has full power again and drives, sometimes when the RPM drops, it sometimes drops too low below 400rpm but it goes back up. the car starts right away. I have to change my power steering pump because is acting up, but that is been a long time issue. I put fresh gas now and no difference. I looked at the engine mount and tranny and they seen good, the oil pan is not sitting on the frame. also I plugged to a code reader and code 543 came on but like I said no cel at all. so I do not know what is going on!!!!

Please, Please help

I'll second that, sounds like your balancer came apart. Can get the replacement powerbond unit from O'Reillys for 90$.

-Tim

so you saying that my harmonic balancer came apart? the wheel is not wobbling or anything, but that will make the engine shake?

Hard to understand

It is very hard to understand what you are saying. I am A master certified tech. It sounds like what you are saying is you are having running issues and breaking issues. Is this true?

this will cause all that? I guess just pull the crank shaft pulley and replace the balancer? that will also make it stall that first time?

It is very hard to understand what you are saying. I am A master certified tech. It sounds like what you are saying is you are having running issues and breaking issues. Is this true?

2 days ago I put gas in the Thunderbird and drove it around. the next day the car started fine, but as soon I left the house took off the car lost power and stalled. tried to start it and no luck, can hear the pump but nothing, after 10 min sitting, I tried and the car started, but it develop a very loud hesitation (like an old engine sound).
Drove it to my friends house 2.5Miles away and everytime I accelerate it will lack of power , like something holding the car. and sometimes I smell fuel coming from where the fuel filter is (2 weeks ago I replaced it),
I replace yesterday:
fuel filter
fuel pressure reg
DIS
ICRM
MAP, MAF
Ignition coil, spark plugs
02 sensors
cam sensor

I disconnected the IACV and the TPS while running and there were not changes in the engine idle, also the MAP(the one by the air filter) and the MAF and no changes.
NO CEL at all.
Today The car has full power again and drives, but sometimes when the RPM drops after pressing clutch, it sometimes drops too low below 400rpm but it goes back up.
the car starts normally now.
I have to change my power steering pump because is acting up, but that is been a long time issue.
I put fresh gas today and no difference.
I looked at the engine mount and tranny and they seen good, the oil pan is not sitting on the frame.
also I plugged to a code reader and code 543 came on but like I said no cel at all.
or I can call you 7573272133

I've had a few balancer failures and what you describe sounds just like a balancer failure. Check to see if your bolt is still there as well.

Also the power bond unit is now available so no need to drop BHJ kind of money $90 and you'll be riding again.

-Tim

Good afternoon

I would check the following:

- Remove the crank pulley. Pull/push on the outer ring of the balancer. If it moves even slightly the balancer must be replaced.

- Inspect the bonded rubber for excessive cranking or missing material.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Wgf7Uy-X3_UJuDQIw&sig2=X3xZdhTs1dtU9I4O5DYpeg

- From the picture of the balancer it appears the middle of the vane has a "witness mark" where it could be striking the crank shaft sensor. Check all the vanes for the same defect.

- Inspect the accessory drive belt for fraying at the edges.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Q2xKniK_orlRgFXAQ&sig2=o21uim2JgDwRenI3soG_Kw

- Check the clearance between the crank sensor, cam sensor harness and the supercharger belt.

Good Luck.

Dont see any damage
That looks like a BHJ balancer. There would be no outer ring that would separate. However, the score marks look troubling. Like its scraping against the sensor. :eek: You should probably adjust that so that the vane passes between the sensor gap properly. At this point, you probably need to replace the sensor also.

Interesting also is the 543 = Fuel pump circuit failure.
That might explain the trouble as well.

Last edited:
When you shut off the engine, and let it sit for about 15 minutes, and press the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, is there still fuel pressure there?

Last edited:
I did, but just alittle, I believe is bad gas, a lot of condensation coming from the pipes, also the cramshaft has a little woobling, I check the but and all but one is tied, the other one cannot be screw and tie. I will go buy a new harmonic balancer and see what happens

That looks like a BHJ balancer. There would be no outer ring that would separate. However, the score marks look troubling. Like its scraping against the sensor. :eek: You should probably adjust that so that the vane passes between the sensor gap properly. At this point, you probably need to replace the sensor also.

Interesting also is the 543 = Fuel pump circuit failure.
That might explain the trouble as well.

I will do that, thank you

Back