Front Wheel Spindle Nut

scotty54

Newbie here and freshening up my 94 SC front brakes. I routinely repack wheel bearings if it's my first brake job. The spindle nut is not familiar and I can't budge it with normal methods - most spindle nuts aren't even tight, but I am not as well versed on the 90's and up cars. Does the outer cage need to be removed first or is it part of the nut assembly?

Those are large sealed bearings - not designed to be 'repacked'. If they need service, they should be replaced. The nut holds the hub bearing hard against the inner shoulder of the spindle...it is not responsible for old fashioned pre-load otherwise.

Torque is 250 ft/lbs. Get the right sized socket with a larger breaker bar, then add a cheater pipe and stand on it. Be sure to have a torque wrench to re-install. Might want to use new nuts.

Better yet, if they don't show any signs of stress/wear, leave them alone. How many miles on them now?

Only 31k on the car (verified) but my concern was 23 year old grease and the long term storage the car has endured. A sealed system is obviously a different animal than the older roller bearings easily repacked. I will leave it alone and check them at the next brake interval. I had no idea of the complexity. Thanks for the explanation.

Back