Metal to metal grinding noise intermittent in front

Matt_aka_Dale

SCCoA Member
Not sure when I started noticing this grinding noise, but it's only when coming to a stop under 10mph with normal or hard braking. However, it doesn't do it right off the bat. It takes a few stops to hear the noise. The brakes are recent and calipers were done as well. I've taken the brakes apart and regreased contact points, and as far as I know, the bearings are okay.

Any thoughts?

It could just be the brake pads. They were cheap AutoZone pads.

I had one of the tabs on the anti-rattle clips bend out without realizing it when I changed pads once. Same symptoms you are describing. I pulled the caliper off to investigate and it caught my eye when I was slipping it back on over the rotor.

Pull each wheel and spin the hub/rotor - if the issue is brake related, it should show up then.

If not, look for a loose lug nuts, or a cracked wheel.

Good evening

As KMT stated remove the wheels and spin to rotors. Check clearance between the hub/spindle dust shield and the rotor at the 3, 6 9 and 12 positions. Inspect the caliper alignment pins for binding/lack of lubrication.

Good Luck.

Update

I only had enough free time to check one side, but the slide bolts did show signs of lack of lubrication. So I cleaned them up and put generous amounts of lube on them. I will need to do the other side and see if it makes a difference.

Assuming that the rotors were either replaced or resurfaced,I've experienced some brands of pads to be inferior when even when properly heat cycled or "seated/broken in"...Break the glaze on your rotors and try a different brand of pads...

Update #2

After replacing the pads, I now feel​ it pull to the right under braking. And I'm sure the calipers aren't getting hung up. Other than getting another caliper to test, the brake hoses are original and should more than likely be replaced.

Good evening

Inspect the caliper(s) for an extensive "wear" grove were the pad slides back and forth causing a hanging/sticking condition. May require a file to correct. Do not forget to lube this area also.

Update #3

Metal to metal sound still present, but sounds like it's coming from all over now. The pulling is from the crappy front end.

Good morning

The grinding/scraping noise is one of the first signs of a bearing/hub impending failure since you inspected/repaired the calipers and replaced brake pads.

I know this is repetitive. Jack and support the front end. Grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Push and Pull. If you feel moment or a slight clicking sound the bearing/hub assembly is worn requiring replacement. Spin the tires and listen for the metal grinding sound. Since you inspected/repaired the calipers/break pads suspect bearing/hub assembly causing the noise.

Inspect the tires tread for feathering and the front suspension for possible brake pulling in one direction.

I found both front bearing/hub assembly bad on a 1991 with the same original problem you have.

Good Luck.

Did this noise show up right after doing brakes? If so, it may be the backing plate rubbing on the rotor. I would remove the rotor, and look for any signs of the scraping on the backing plate.

I wish it was that simple, but I've checked the backing plates many times. Checked clearance, lubrication, slides, contact points, and bearings.

Back