PDA

View Full Version : Upper Control Arm Options

potshotscott
03-12-2017, 11:43 PM
I've been reading the suspension section in members forum and have noticed a few threads that suggest the ball joints can be removed and replaced in the upper control arms. Anyone here done that? I've got a '94 LX V8 car that is pretty clunky that I'd like to freshen up but most of the Moog stuff online looks super flaky.

Are the stock UCA's something that can be renewed?

MadMikeyL
03-13-2017, 10:26 AM
In the stock arms, the ball joints can not be serviced separately. There are some aftermarket arms that use a larger ball joint, which can be serviced separately, however considering how cheap the arms are, and that by the time the ball joint fails the rubber bushings are usually shot as well, I don't see the point, just replace the whole arm when needed.

KMT
03-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Agreed, not worth the trouble, especially if you don't already have the tools to install a press-in joint without damaging it, and as noted, it still sports the old bushings.

I bought mine from RockAuto when I went thru the front end, but that was 3 years ago. Some like the sealed joints and some want the ones w/the grease fitting - if you go w/the fitting, try to get one that is right-angled to make it easier to service.