PDA

View Full Version : Less is more gauge cluster rework.

Creighton
03-18-2017, 03:28 AM
Still not happy but this is moving along. Thoughts?
Thanks.
Creighton

J dot Miller
03-18-2017, 10:00 AM
How about telling us what you are not happy about?

I will at least replace the odometer gears (https://www.supercoupeperformance.com/odometer-repair-kit-493) while I was there. :D

Creighton
03-18-2017, 07:19 PM
This is just the test cluster. Didn't spend a great deal of time cutting out the masking. It is a bit to glossy. Hope can find something closer to the gauge paint.

Have pretty much sorted getting more light to the speedo and tach. All bulbs except battery will go to LED. Adding bulbs at 11:00 and 1:00 for the speedo and tach. Just pulling power from factory cluster.

Will do on the ODO gears.
Creighton

J dot Miller
03-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Humm, when I did my 55 cluster I purchased glow in the dark needle tip paint. It is easy, just put a paper towel snippet behind it and paint away! If you like I can check the one in my car and my XR7 spares for the tip color?

I am sure you know most LED's require a resistor or they will not turn off?

Noting better than a goof Instrument Cluster rebuild to make sure you get accurate readouts.

Creighton
03-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks on the needle tip paint. Lots of choices there. Going to need to try some different ones. Would like to see what you came up with.

Looking at the #194 LED replacements that have resistor for most of it. 180 degree for the ILL sockets and 90 for warning lights. Something smaller and surface mount for the additional 4.

Test bench projects are great fun. Break it no big deal. Most of the time :-).
Creighton