PDA

View Full Version : So What is UP with No One buying cars

Les Borda
03-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Not very long ago there would have been a bidding war for my sons pristine 90 with 98,000kms on it. A guy in the USA has an 89 Cougar XR7 29,000 miles on it, it looks factory new, he had it up for 12,000 and now it's down to 8500 or something like that. Another car that would have brought about a bidding war.
You guys getting too old LOL, too many kids draining the bank account LOL, us old pharts that could tear these down all retired :-)?

CHeers
Les

KMT
03-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Seems it's common to not even have a driver's license these days for youngers.

Between Uber and self-criving cars, zero interest in bruised knuckles, seat o' the pants kamikazi street dyno, etc. there is a dearth of the same motivation that many of us took for granted for so long.

Times have changed...

Creighton
03-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Times have changed. I wanted a SC/MN12 for the don't see every day factor. The complexity was a plus for this old brain. The 89 only has minor issues. When a dead motor clean 95 turned up for $300 had to have it. Going to be a bit of coin to get it on the road. I have no illusions of these ever being worth anything. It is just for the fun. When pop the hoods buddies just say Yikes!! :-).

Creighton

tbirdsc357
03-26-2017, 04:01 PM
unfortunately to most its just a 25 year old ford.

The younger crowd wants a stang which can be had for cheap with lots of aftermarket parts (used), and the older guys that know of a tbird would prefer a 1st - 4th gen tbird (55-66)

Anyone that has passion for our models most likely has one. Keep at it though, Im sure sooner or later it will sell.

Superbird281
03-29-2017, 01:14 PM
In the general automotive market, nobody wants a 25 year old gas guzzling 2 door American car. People want Rav4s and CR-Vs.
In the enthusiast market, well, there just isn't much of one anymore. Millennials just don't have the money for this hobby. Nevertheless, my 'bird sometimes gets looks and friendly comments. Last summer a guy in a Mustang asked if mine was a 5.0 or 4.6.

91bird
03-30-2017, 04:32 AM
Generally I think most interest has really dropped here in the last few years. I agree with most comments mentioned already. I also feel that a big reason for the drop is the difficulty in obtaining parts either performance or maintenance. Everything has to come from south of the boarder which is more expensive now also. Add to that the necessity to tune and tinker make it hard for most. Plus most cars have 300+hp now anyway so what's the point in an old car with 210 unless you truly just enjoy the car which the few guys left here still do. Just my thoughts anyway.
I did however see a nice looking titanium SC the other day driving down Islington. It caught my eye right away and I almost caused an accident rubber necking trying to watch it as long as I could. It was the first SC I have seen on the road besides mine in a very long time.

Drew

Les, I really the car you are selling and wish I could grab it up. I am surprised its actually still not sold but I'm sure someone will buy it and appreciate it.

Peterdroy66
03-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Drew, that was probably me, has a wing in the trunk lid.
I got my 92' out this week on a binder to wash it, then I called insurance and said put the season coverage on :)

Peter

91bird
03-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Thats cool Peter, I think i saw you driving the red onew this morning haha. Were you heading down Islington again next this morning around 8?
Car looked real good and made me wanna get mine out. Real great to see one out there.

Drew

Peterdroy66
03-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Red one back on the road for the season, my commute is short 3k, often walk or cycle, but then I don't get to drive an SC.
Really enjoyed the titanium one this winter, bone stock not as perfect as the red one but very decent and rust free as a shipped it in from Vancouver last year.
Actually kind of nice having the auto around here now.
You're in Pickering - are you over this side regularly now?
My business is on Advance, either one usually out front.
Pete

XR7 Dave
03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
I keep saying this, but when I bought my 1970 Torino Cobra in 1986 I was told it was "a mid sized Ford that would never be worth anything". "If it were a Mustang with the same engine, people would line up for it." That's what they said.

What is going to happen is that people who actually want one of these will look at a new car and think "hmm, $10K for an SC isn't bad at all for something unique." They aren't an investment, but they are appreciating slowly. Ratio of nice examples to people willing to buy is not in our favor right now though. That will change.

potshotscott
03-30-2017, 09:13 PM
I agree to most if not all of what was already posted. At some point they will be few and far between and their value could go up. To me the fun comes from having something fairly unique. There really aren't that many SC's on the road. I could care less if my car is worth money. It's fun and I like it.

91bird
03-31-2017, 01:06 AM
Agreed, who cares what they are worth. Its what they are worth to you that matters. My first car was a 91 SC I bought when I was 18. I have always had and SC and plan to have one for as long as I can drive. Everything in my driveway has changed over the years except my SC.

Peter. The red one looked great man. Best looking car I saw on the road all week, that one and the titanium haha. I work at Islington and Judson in the rail yard.

Drew

Creighton
03-31-2017, 05:26 AM
Agree things could change. Not holding my breath but... In last months Hemmings Classic Car editorial chief Richard G. asked for suggestions on the next cars for write-up following a Mercury Capri review. Buick Gran National mentioned last paragraph. Have the mags from the era and the SC vs GN. SC won most of the time.

Just have not had time to write a proper reply with travel. HCC seems to like 30 =/+ year old vehicals. 89's will be there soon. Maybe a new thread??

My take is very few collectors recall these cars. Too spendy in the day for most. Bit of print would help that.
Creighton